Scopes and muzzleoader WA State.

Rhatch

FNG
Anyone here in WA? Did you see the survey from WDFW for rule making and notice the modern scope option for muzzy? I'm totally down to use a scope. Open sites are fun, but scope are too! I'm sure it's a fly fishing vs bait fishing situation. What's your opinion?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scopes open the door up to long range muzzleloading. Muzzleloader technology is impressive and high-end quality built rifles are good to 300/400 yards and beyond.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Olythom

FNG
The proposal that I see says muzzleloader scopes would be limited to 1x magnification.

There is another proposal that would allow crossbows during muzzleloader season.

OP
R

Rhatch

FNG
The proposal that I see says muzzleloader scopes would be limited to 1x magnification.

There is another proposal that would allow crossbows during muzzleloader season.
I missed that part. Perhaps it will be a gateway to something?

Probably dfw selling a scope tag for a modest fee, if you have enough points of course.

dwils233

FNG
I'd worry about it creating a situation where they would just get rid of the MZ season in Washington eventually if it gets close enough to modern rifle capabilities, or the MZ season would be start getting crowded by modern folks making an easier transition. f the trade off is a worse season or more hunting pressure, I'd live without a scope on mine.

1x would be nice though

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Utah went down this road, and 1x scopes turned into any power scopes.

One thing that seldom gets talked about is the fact that we are talking about a limited resource. Powered scopes on muzzleloaders (or really any improvement in technology) makes it easier to harvest deer. That translates into increased harvest efficiency, which means more get deer harvested per number of tags given. In areas where tag numbers are based on buck doe ratios, this means less tags can be allocated. Which translates to decreased opportunity.

So before you get too excited about having a scope on a muzzleloader, ask yourself if its worth that decrease in opportunity.

When Washington made 209 primers legal people were so worried about modern hunters jumping ship and it being crowded and whatnot and I thought how dumb, it’s not like they’re offering scopes. It’s still one shot, you still gotta get close.

Scope though? Okay. I’m there with everyone. Muzzleloaders are supposed to be a more primitive method of harvest, and as such they get their own season. If you toss a scope on a muzzleloader, well the ones they make these days you now have a rifle. I understand older folks still want to hunt, and perhaps they can eventually have a “over 65 can use a scope” rule or something along those lines, but if we start adding scopes it’s just gonna become early modern rifle - same pumpkin patch, same bunch of idiots driving around the woods scoping people with their muzzleloader and hoping a deer jumps out.

I’m not putting my support behind this at this time. The WDFW doesn’t oppose this change, but I don’t see it stopping at just 1x magnification for very long.

iHunt*

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys and gals, I was just told by another member that we’re now able to use the 1x scope or red dot? Did the bill pass? I cannot find any updated info.

OP
R

Rhatch

FNG
Hey guys and gals, I was just told by another member that we’re now able to use the 1x scope or red dot? Did the bill pass? I cannot find any updated info.
Hey! It was just on wdfw proposed changes where you share your opinion. Wait till the new regs come out to sp3nd money lol

iHunt*

Lil-Rokslider
And with all the frustration I’ve gone through getting another muzzy with iron sights, I may not even go with one at this point. These 1x scopes are harder to find than ammo these days anyway.

OP
R

Rhatch

FNG
I think if we are not careful with these special seasons bowhunting and muzzleloader that they will no longer be special.
That's for sure. They (wdfw) also mentioned cross bow specific season during muzzleloader.