scopes for mp 15 sport 2

I just bought a M&P Sport II. Had been looking around and where I am at, I found the best price I could. Looking at this forum, I may have been able to get a better deal, but alas, I now have the gun.
I will be looking through the forum for hints.
First thing I will be looking for is a cleaning kit. Second thing is trying to recall how to clean it once I get the kit.
It has been way too long since I fired and cleaned one of these. Once thing I know that I will want to get is some sort of optics and again will be haunting the forum on what to get.
Looking forward to many new experiences with this gun.

Welcome.

slip 2000 oil and cleaner are great for ARs. A $15 GI cleaning kit or the commercial equivalent is fine.

as far as an optic, red dots have a lot of fans. eotech or aim point. They are solid but spenDy. Vortex has some good options. If you want to magnify it vortex is a good option as well. I think it is easy to over scope a 556 AR unless you want to start upgrading it to a real precision rig. The critters I shoot with mine are 200 yards and in and don’t need a $1000+ scope for me to connect. I have a Leopold 3-9 on my AR and it is plenty of glass.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What are you going to do with it?

I have a MP Sport I, and over the years it has had a red dot, 3-9 with AR reticle, and now has a 1-6 Strike Eagle on it. This is the most versatile scope that I have had. It has illumination and at 1x power it is basically like a red dot in many ways. It is easy to shoot with both eyes open. At 6x, I can shoot Gatorade bottle sized targets out to 300 no problem. I could stretch it further, but just haven't verified the subtensions. I haven't been coyote hunting for a couple of years, but the plan is to run it every range trip and get prepared for coyote once cool weather hits again.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Big question is what are your expected uses?

Fast up close? Red dot/holographic sight

Fast-ish up close and decent out to mid-range? Low power variable (1-6 etc.)

Fast up close AND good mid/long? Mid power variable (2-10 etc) OR fixed power (3x, 5x, 6x) AND 45deg. offset micro red dot.

Excellent mid/long range? Mid-high power variable (3-9, 2-10 or bigger)

Once, you/we know the intended use then it'll be time for specific optics recommendations

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Big question is what are your expected uses?

Fast up close? Red dot/holographic sight

Fast-ish up close and decent out to mid-range? Low power variable (1-6 etc.)

Fast up close AND good mid/long? Mid power variable (2-10 etc) OR fixed power (3x, 5x, 6x) AND 45deg. offset micro red dot.

Excellent mid/long range? Mid-high power variable (3-9, 2-10 or bigger)

Once, you/we know the intended use then it'll be time for specific optics recommendations
Solid explanation.

For me, close to far, I would be at the 2-10 and maybe with an offset red dot or iron sights. 10x is enough for me to shoot to 600.