Scopes

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm not a fan of Vortex scopes in that price range, EXCEPT the Razor HD LH. You can get a 2-10x40 or 3-15x42 used for less than $500 occasionally. New they aren't much over that. The glass will stomp a mudhole in just about anything in that price range, and they have a great warranty. I'd also take a look at the new Meopta Optika 6 scopes coming out soon, though of course there is no reliability data out for them right now.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a used razor gen 1 for $850, goin on my custom 7mm Saum! But for your price range I’d look for a viper pst gen 2 used, probably find one close to $500 and pretty good scopes for the money! And you can’t beat that warranty!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to stay under the $500 mark. Also looking for something that would be effective at 300-400 yards
I really like my Leupold VX -1 3 x 9 x 40. It's a nice rifle scope under $500 and it has a lifetime guarantee. I'm not shooting more than 200- 300 yards.

Last edited:
Checkout A&A optics web page, it’s a small family run business. Alan gets Vortex warranty turn ins, refurbishes them, and sells them at a pretty damn good discount. Best part is they are still covered under Vortex’s lifetime warranty.

I've used their scopes and binos for years in various forms. Good glass for the money. Most of those budget line scopes come out of the same plants anyways.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ALL Leupolds are made in the same place, Beaverton, OR off NW 153rd - that's where they have been since the very beginning

sneaky

"DADDY"
ALL Leupolds are made in the same place, Beaverton, OR off NW 153rd - that's where they have been since the very beginning
Show me where I said anything about Leupold in that post. He was asking about Hawke, and Leupold might still make all their rifle scopes in Oregon, but their spotters and rangefinders aren't ALL made here.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You would also probably be surprised at how many imported parts are used in those Leupold rifle scopes

It's easy to research and well known that they use imported lenses

not in their "gold ring" or any top shelf products - they openly admit to that for Redfield products and probably some of their entry level products - I'd be glad to stop in there next week and get you any documentation you might need ….

Burris Fulfield II 3x9 will drop animals out to 400 yards no problem. Lifetime warranty. $200. Good luck on your search.
I've found Burris stuff to be very good and reliable and reasonably priced - they are not the original "Burris" with made in America products any longer though

sneaky

"DADDY"
not in their "gold ring" or any top shelf products - they openly admit to that for Redfield products and probably some of their entry level products - I'd be glad to stop in there next week and get you any documentation you might need ….
They have used imported lenses in their Gold Ring products before. By all means stop in and ask for your own research purposes.
00b23808d2d41df5e355ad277113ce43.jpg

They have used imported lenses in their Gold Ring products before. By all means stop in and ask for your own research purposes.
00b23808d2d41df5e355ad277113ce43.jpg

OK, you are correct in THIS assertion but I certainly "thought" I detected a bit of "Leupolds ain't all that great" in your original comment, must have been mistaken - So, I wonder if Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Kahles, etc … make their own optics ? - Leupold is right up there with the German and Austrian optics manufacturers but it seems that many like to "pick on" Leupold for reasons I can't seem to logically figure out - Leupold pioneered the lightweight scope concept and to this day dominates that corner of the market, Yes, they've had their troubles recently with "dialing" as this long range craze took off more ravenously than most would have imagined but they are now competitive in that field as well - they also became immersed in the "CQT" side of things along the way due to their history of commitment to LE and Military - Since the beginning when they invented the duplex reticle and then had to sue Redfield (and won) for patent rights they have been industry leaders in product development and warranty without question - (Leupold happens to be an absolutely awesome company to work for as well)

sneaky

"DADDY"
OK, you are correct in THIS assertion but I certainly "thought" I detected a bit of "Leupolds ain't all that great" in your original comment, must have been mistaken - So, I wonder if Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Kahles, etc … make their own optics ? - Leupold is right up there with the German and Austrian optics manufacturers but it seems that many like to "pick on" Leupold for reasons I can't seem to logically figure out - Leupold pioneered the lightweight scope concept and to this day dominates that corner of the market, Yes, they've had their troubles recently with "dialing" as this long range craze took off more ravenously than most would have imagined but they are now competitive in that field as well - they also became immersed in the "CQT" side of things along the way due to their history of commitment to LE and Military - Since the beginning when they invented the duplex reticle and then had to sue Redfield (and won) for patent rights they have been industry leaders in product development and warranty without question - (Leupold happens to be an absolutely awesome company to work for as well)
Nah, it's just impossible it seems to find anything that's 100% made here anymore. I've shot scopes from Leupy all the way up to S&B and Premier and everything in between.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

A lot of Leupolds optics and components are not made in Oregon. Quite a bit are. Either way, the “made in America” flag waving is misplaced. They are not a family run company anymore, they have a board and CEO who knows all about hunting- due to being CEO of Brooks shoes and TCBY yogurt before heading Leupold.

Leupolds are great. Other than zero retention, reliability, and durability. And, what history and commitment to the military? Military optics were a contention for Leupold nearly from the beginning, and only relatively recently has that changed.

Leupolds have been turds as military optics, and it wasn’t until the Mark 5 that they have done anything at all to improve it... Only one of 5 has failed. That’s a great percentage when it comes to Leupold.

A lot of Leupolds optics and components are not made in Oregon. Quite a bit are. Either way, the “made in America” flag waving is misplaced. They are not a family run company anymore, they have a board and CEO who knows all about hunting- due to being CEO of Brooks shoes and TCBY yogurt before heading Leupold.

Leupolds are great. Other than zero retention, reliability, and durability. And, what history and commitment to the military? Military optics were a contention for Leupold nearly from the beginning, and only relatively recently has that changed.

Leupolds have been turds as military optics, and it wasn’t until the Mark 5 that they have done anything at all to improve it... Only one of 5 has failed. That’s a great percentage when it comes to Leupold.
I USED to have a bunch of friends in local Portland and Washington C0. LE who thought highly of Leupold AND how they treated their respective LE departments but my "knowledge" of Leupold & military is strictly second hand - I was close friends with John Noveski, was visiting him way back when and asked why his love for S&B scopes when Leupold was "local" ? He said he hadn't really heard of them so when I got home (then in Bvtn) I stopped in and chatted up a good buddy at Leupold who promptly contacted John and within a week he had near a dozen in differing models in his shop, no charge
I think you are correct about the "times have changed" though, just like Les Schwab, it's all money and business now - I'm told the attorneys run them and the "kids" fly around in the two "company" jets - I'd have to admit that Leupold appears to be very much the same (guess I'm just old now, easy to let years and beliefs linger)
I clearly understand about the repeatability issues, reliability for "me" has been outstanding but I don't dial (doubt I ever will) but even though I shoot "a lot" of rounds yearly that number pales in comparison to your "on the ground" experience, I'll not regret taking your advice about SWFA SS scopes

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I USED to have a bunch of friends in local Portland and Washington C0. LE who thought highly of Leupold AND how they treated their respective LE departments but my "knowledge" of Leupold & military is strictly second hand - I was close friends with John Noveski, was visiting him way back when and asked why his love for S&B scopes when Leupold was "local" ? He said he hadn't really heard of them so when I got home (then in Bvtn) I stopped in and chatted up a good buddy at Leupold who promptly contacted John and within a week he had near a dozen in differing models in his shop, no charge
I think you are correct about the "times have changed" though, just like Les Schwab, it's all money and business now - I'm told the attorneys run them and the "kids" fly around in the two "company" jets - I'd have to admit that Leupold appears to be very much the same (guess I'm just old now, easy to let years and beliefs linger)
I clearly understand about the repeatability issues, reliability for "me" has been outstanding but I don't dial (doubt I ever will) but even though I shoot "a lot" of rounds yearly that number pales in comparison to your "on the ground" experience, I'll not regret taking your advice about SWFA SS scopes

Nobody would like Leupold to fix themselves more than I, and I put a lot of effort into trying to get their mil dudes years back to come out and see the issues so they could correct them. They were not interested. When they did come out and were forced to see it, they left. The fixed power Mark 4’s were historically very good, though outdated, but even those have started to have issues the last few years.

Funny about John Noveske’s use of the S&B Shortdot. That scope was built by them because of Leupolds absolute refusal to to make and correct a scope for the nations premier military unit. The USMC’s selection of the S&B SSDS was because Leupold refused to build them a variable version of the fixed power Mark 4’s.

OLI62

FNG

Formid, can you say what failed on that Mark 5?