score this bull

I pulled my trailcams a week ago and had a few pics of this bull. I have never been good at field scoring elk, but a co-worker tells me this bull is in the 310 category. What is your estimate? What is your method for field scoring an elk on the hoof? All I can reliably say about this bull is that he is a very nice bull for my neck of the woods.

Attachments

• EK000444.jpg
    EK000444.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 161

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
From this angle it is tough to gage all the tines for length, but he has the frame of a bull that would appear to be in the 320 range. I'm going from sheds I findprior harvests scored and comparing length of main beam and the fronts to his nose. Definately a shooter and good luck pursuing him!

littlebuf

Banned
pretty good length on the front but nothing huge up top and main beams aren't super long.hard to tell spread at that angle. 310 would be safe,may be a little better,but maybe closer to 300 depending on spread.got any other shots?

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
Going off my 330 bull on the wall I would guess him to be similar plus he's that 4-5 inch extra. Im sayin 330ish. Shoot him and let us know for sure!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am with everybody else. Awesome bull.

If I had to put a number on him it would be in that 310-320 area.

A guy would have to have a pretty special tag in his pocket to pass on a bull like that one.

tstowater

WKR
Based solely on this one picture, my initial estimate (without looking at the other posts) is 320-330. Nice elk and might be a shooter in the right area. God, I love elk hunting. Too bad I like sheep hunting more. Nothing beats bulls in the rut.

MT_Nate

FNG
Nice bull! Enough have said ~320 that I'd fully agree...and I wouldn't think twice about passing on him if an opportunity was there.

There are some real pigs in our corner of the state that hide out in the brush all year (even though your photo looks like an open area)...you must have felt a nice adrenaline rush when that pic hit the screen!!

OP
W
Nice bull! Enough have said ~320 that I'd fully agree...and I wouldn't think twice about passing on him if an opportunity was there.

There are some real pigs in our corner of the state that hide out in the brush all year (even though your photo looks like an open area)...you must have felt a nice adrenaline rush when that pic hit the screen!!

Brush bull is an accurate description. This small opening is surrounded by acres of brush fields. I've hunted elk in NW montana my whole life and I'm still surprised by their ability to traverse through all the brush.

velvetfvr

WKR
Brush bull is an accurate description. This small opening is surrounded by acres of brush fields. I've hunted elk in NW montana my whole life and I'm still surprised by their ability to traverse through all the brush.

Elk were plains animals until they have taken to the mountains, amazing they go out in the brush like that. I say 332 on the score.

MT_Nate

FNG

I'm continually amazed too...especially with the headgear. I've hunted elk in the areas around the Flathead my whole life as well, tagging along with my dad and brothers until I became able to fire my own bullets back in 1982. We just might know one another.