Scotch

mtk

FNG
Scotch whisky is defined in part by peat, in that they use peat moss in the fire for malting the barley, but Islay is definitely where you see it present more intensely.

Laphroaig 10 is probably the most in-your-face peaty bottling that you'll commonly find. Literally every other bottle they sell is less intensely peated. Lagavulin 16 is a much more refined peaty scotch, by most people's standards. Used to be that Lagavulin was around double the cost of Laphroaig, but Laphroaig has come up to around 1.5x the cost in recent years.

Blended whisky gets a bad wrap. There's certainly some horrible blended whiskies, but frankly, that's not because of the blending. Let's be clear: single malt whiskies are still created by blending, it just means it was blended using all in-house whiskies, and not any sourced from another distillery. It's like saying you can only cook recipes using what you grew on your own farm.

With that being said, while Diageo is a major purveyor of blended whiskies - seeing as they own a good percentage of the Scotch whisky distilleries - there's some other interesting producers.

One in particular stands out for me, and it's one I'd recommend for anyone who hasn't tried their products - Compass Box. They have some standards, but they also have some really fascinating blends. They stand out for me because while they don't limit to a single distillery, they also don't limit to a single recipe (or set of recipes).

I find sharing a dram from someone else's bottle is a great way to find what works for me, and what doesn't. Don't be scared to add a drop of water to the surface, or a few... many distillers/blenders will dilute down to 35-40 proof when tasting, to really dig into the flavors. But know that while a rock of ice might make it seem more quaffable, it's doing so by numbing the flavor. And after the first few, you're enjoying more than you are tasting.

Slange (Slàinte)

Royal Lochnagar for Highland. So mad at myself for drinking it soooo fast. Glengoyne 10-14 is excellent and incredibly tasty for the price point. Haven’t found it locally in a while which is a bummer. Edradour is another really good and overlooked Highland. Smallest distillery in Scotland (or so their label claims)

Bruchladie Port Charlotte (sp?) for Islay peat. I’ve had all the others, and while Lagavulin is good, aforementioned is better for price point

Oban 14 is great, Cragnamore for price point for Speyside. Glen Moray is also good.

Haven’t found too many Lowland or Campbell Town flavors that I like. I started with Highlands but really developed a taste for the peatier varieties.

Highland Park is also a good blend of peat and Highland florals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcfd45

FNG
I love scotch. I am definitely a peat and smoke hound.
laphroig and ardbeg are my two faves. Lagavulin is good, but a bit more pricey.
For less peaty stuff. I alike auchentoshan American oak (really good for a transition from bourbon to scotch) glenfiddich fire and cane. Monkey shoulder is the best blend I have found yet.

I've not been much of a Scotch drinker (I've been slumming around the tequila offerings for some years) but I want to thank those of you that suggested Oban 14. I might just have to convert--that is some good stuff.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Balvenie 12yr is my go to, especially when paired with a cigar.

A nod to Oban, Bunnahabhain and Lagavulin...depending on the mood.

Delving into anejo tequilas these days as well.

Good thread!

OP
Mule3006Elk
Balvenie 12yr is my go to, especially when paired with a cigar.

A nod to Oban, Bunnahabhain and Lagavulin...depending on the mood.

Delving into anejo tequilas these days as well.

Good thread!

I really enjoy Balvenie 12! Cheers

OP
Mule3006Elk
You guys convinced me.
I picked up Oban 14.

Color: light yellow.
Aroma: I get pear, green apple, not a lot of alcohol on the nose. Very well covered. Hint of smoke/peat.
Mouth: Very light feeling. Again alcohol is not in your face. Peat/smoke is present but subtle. I get some citric notes. Some pepper or spice in the middle. Then some honey notes on the finish. Medium finish not too long.
Overall: Very pleasant and easy to enjoy.

OP
Mule3006Elk
I tried Johnnie Walker Black and the Double Black while visiting family.

Black was fairly monotone, some pepper, overall nothing memorable.

The Double Black was surprising good on the palate, smoky peat, smooth.

OP
Mule3006Elk
AND I had Johnnie Walker Blue for the first time.

Almost nothing on the nose no alcohol maybe some sweet notes. Very smooth. Sweet subtle flavor.

It is good. Glad to have tried it. But I wouldn't pay $200+ for it (where I live).

If I had to pick a Blend I do like the JW Gold.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
bought a tried a bottle of Oban 14. Keep trying to find a scotch I like. Tried dewars, several different shades of mcallean and glenfiddich. I can't find one I like. Guess I'm just not a scotch guy. I like irish whiskey, rye and tequila and mezcal.

Brick

FNG
New guy here but not new to whiskey...
My personal favorite casual go-to's:

Irish - Redbrest
Bourbon- Woodford Reserve
Sctoch - Lagavulin (Glenlivet 12 if I'm feeling something less peaty)

Cheers!

OP
Mule3006Elk
New guy here but not new to whiskey...
My personal favorite casual go-to's:

Irish - Redbrest
Bourbon- Woodford Reserve
Sctoch - Lagavulin (Glenlivet 12 if I'm feeling something less peaty)

Cheers!
You would be my drinking buddy!

Irish: Redbreast 12 is phenomenal.
Bourbon: Woodford Reserve Double Oak or regular.
Islay: Lagavulin 16 is really good but surprisingly I really liked JW Double Black which has an Islay-like profile IMO.

Last edited:
OP
Mule3006Elk
bought a tried a bottle of Oban 14. Keep trying to find a scotch I like. Tried dewars, several different shades of mcallean and glenfiddich. I can't find one I like. Guess I'm just not a scotch guy. I like irish whiskey, rye and tequila and mezcal.
I tried neat for a while because I thought that was the correct way to have drink. :)
I learned that I really like a 1/2 - 3/4 piece of ice in my drink. For me, it really opens up the drink, not so alcohol forward, enabling me to pick up the flavors of the drink that I would have otherwise missed.

I too agree regarding Irish Whiskey. The more I've explored that region the more I really like it.

FWIW.

Brick

FNG
If you guys ever get a chance to go to Ireland, do it. It's about the cheapest Euro vacation you can have and the distilleries are wild. County Cork is where the Midleton Distillery is - Jameson, Powers, Paddy's, Redbrest, and the king of them all- Midleton Very Rare are all distilled there. My wife and I went in 2014 and we are going again in 2024. Flights, rental car, and hotels for 8 days ran around $2k back then. And there's a lot of Irish whiskeys you can't get in the states that are worth trying. Speaking of weird/new whiskeys, has anyone tried Writer's Tears yet? Just bought a bottle and it's killer.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I tried neat for a while because I thought that was the correct way to have drink. :)
I learned that I really like a 1/2 - 3/4 piece of ice in my drink. For me, it really opens up the drink, not so alcohol forward, enabling me to pick up the flavors of the drink that I would have otherwise missed.

I too agree regarding Irish Whiskey. The more I've explored that region the more I really like it.

FWIW.

Yea I've done that. I have some cask strength stuff that comes in pretty hot. Like 110-120 proof. They are undrinkable without water for me.

My standard procedure is to try it neat, Try it with a bit of water and then try with a couple ice cubes. For example garrison brothers honeydew is pretty hot neat. With a splash of water it opens up and has wonderful flavor. With ice it reverts back to just fire with no flavor.

I just have yet to find a scotch that I dig. Maybe its the smoke or peat I haven't much been able to put my finger on what I dont like about it.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
Try Spey River.

Attachments

• spey river.JPG
    spey river.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 21

Brew1up

FNG
Still venturing into Scotch so 14 or older has caught my attention. I have dipped into some 12 yr that is starting to draw me in.