Scounting Help

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Studying OnX now trying to locate some areas to scout when i head up. Season is Late October mulies in North Eastern Nevada.

Does this look like an area worth scouting? I see smaller vegetation on the north side, trees near and a creek to the east.

About half a mile south west of there is a 2012 burn that i'll be checking out when i go up as well. Really want to learn what to look for from the satellite view to narrow down the areas to check out when i go up there.

Wind typically runs from the west so id hike up that eastern slope and glass across then plan a stalk accordingly. Would be rifle season if that matters. As far as glassing, how far should i be from an area i think would hold deer? I know i want to be downwind if possible, but im sure theres a distance at which it really doesnt matter.

Thanks for any help and mainly helping me learn.

J2dYLy6.jpg

That looks like summertime mule deer habitat to me. I'd want more timber later in the year. Big bucks hide in the thick stuff till the rut is in full blast.

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
That looks like summertime mule deer habitat to me. I'd want more timber later in the year. Big bucks hide in the thick stuff till the rut is in full blast.

Definitely keep that in mind, The hunt sounds likes its right on the edge of pre rut going into the rut (oct 17th-31st). Ill look for more dense timber. How do they act while in the timber? Do they typically come out feed/water in the AM then return or do they tend to stay hidden and ill have to work extra hard to find them?

Looks like there are some juniper or mahogany patches that the bucks could move into. Depending on tag numbers, remoteness, etc. there may or may not be insufficient cover. I have run into some areas that are fairly open that bucks are using in October because there just aren't that many guys in there.

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
so ill start there and work south. The cover gets more dense as I move south. Example of a mile or so south. desnser still have a creek that runs down, can sit on the NE slope and glass the entire north facing slope.

hunt2.jpg

Definitely keep that in mind, The hunt sounds likes its right on the edge of pre rut going into the rut (oct 17th-31st). Ill look for more dense timber. How do they act while in the timber? Do they typically come out feed/water in the AM then return or do they tend to stay hidden and ill have to work extra hard to find them?
I'm not the expert here, @robby denning is the man to ask these questions! But I like the look of your second photo better personally.

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
was reading his book and need to grab another copy. Managed to get water damage damaged so probably going to order another copy lol.

sounds like ill check out another area a buddy told me about then just work south of there (second photo) vs north (first photo).

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
was reading his book and need to grab another copy. Managed to get water damage damaged so probably going to order another copy lol.

sounds like ill check out another area a buddy told me about then just work south of there (second photo) vs north (first photo).
Personally I don’t think any of the mapping systems are good enough to tell vegetation types for attracting deer on a microscale. I’d start backwards with the biologist or other hunters first then move into the mapping system once you get an idea of the exact areas deer frequent. I might be wrong, but Been burned too many times by GE. Not saying you shouldn’t do this stuff, but just remember it’s one piece of the puzzle, it’s not the whole puzzle by any means. Just gives you starting points.

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I don’t think any of the mapping systems are good enough to tell vegetation types for attracting deer on a microscale. I’d start backwards with the biologist or other hunters first then move into the mapping system once you get an idea of the exact areas deer frequent. I might be wrong, but Been burned too many times by GE. Not saying you shouldn’t do this stuff, but just remember it’s one piece of the puzzle, it’s not the whole puzzle by any means. Just gives you starting points.

How does one go about finding the biologist for the area? Would I contact the Nevada dept of wildlife?

As far as the maps, I'm trying to find areas to scout via maps, then go in person with an open mind that obviously a sat pic taken 10 years ago may be greatly different then it looks now. I figure the biggest piece of the puzzle is boots on ground pre season to see the lay of the land and actually scout where they are. Downside to my season is its the mid early season so the 1st round of hunters will have already been putting pressure on. Im just hoping the majority of them stay close to the dirtroads where as i plan on putting a tent in my pack and camping at higher elevations working multiple areas over the course of time.

Like i said this is my first real hunt, and trying to do the hard work now to narrow down the areas, scout to further narrow down to a couple good looking areas and finally put the boots on the ground and glass the day season opens for me and into the week.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
How does one go about finding the biologist for the area? Would I contact the Nevada dept of wildlife?

As far as the maps, I'm trying to find areas to scout via maps, then go in person with an open mind that obviously a sat pic taken 10 years ago may be greatly different then it looks now. I figure the biggest piece of the puzzle is boots on ground pre season to see the lay of the land and actually scout where they are. Downside to my season is its the mid early season so the 1st round of hunters will have already been putting pressure on. Im just hoping the majority of them stay close to the dirtroads where as i plan on putting a tent in my pack and camping at higher elevations working multiple areas over the course of time.

Like i said this is my first real hunt, and trying to do the hard work now to narrow down the areas, scout to further narrow down to a couple good looking areas and finally put the boots on the ground and glass the day season opens for me and into the week.

Yes call the NDOW for the region that you’re in. It’s on the inside front cover of the tag number booklet that they sent out. The bios are all working remotely, so you have to leave them a message and wait for a callback. Even though your midseason, unless that unit has an early migration, the biologist can tell you if it does, those bucks won’t be super far from where you may have seen them early season. They just typically move into the rougher heavier cover. I hear of some of them moving 10- 30 miles, but that’s usually because of the rut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braaap

WKR

You have a great tag and should have no problem finding bucks if you know how to glass. I found deer lower than expected when I hunted that tag, but expect to hike up pretty high. Hike away from the roads and patiently glass and you should find deer moving. It’s pretty steep and rough country. Those big basins could take a long time to go from one side to another. Much bigger country than how it looks on GE. I was hoping to draw that tag!

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
You have a great tag and should have no problem finding bucks if you know how to glass. I found deer lower than expected when I hunted that tag, but expect to hike up pretty high. Hike away from the roads and patiently glass and you should find deer moving. It’s pretty steep and rough country. Those big basins could take a long time to go from one side to another. Much bigger country than how it looks on GE. I was hoping to draw that tag!

yea definitely plan to start high, easier to glass and find game under me then above. Plan is still to get the truck as far into the trail as i can then hike and get a little elevation for camp. Want to be sitting on somewhere with the spotter out as the sun rises.

Years of yote hunting has got me decent at glassing, at least i think lol. being my first big game attempt im going to find someplace with a decent view of hopefully a few different basins and work it like i do a large chunk of desert for a yote. slowly and looking for anything that doesn't line up be it the smallest difference in color or texture.

Edit: i miss my 2 stroke and have debated getting an older yz250 to compliment the 450. Assuming thats what your username is referencing lol