Scouting Colorado High Country

For the guys that scout Colorado high country, how early will I be able to make it up there? I have the middle of June off and was planning my first scouting trip then. Is that to early with the snow, or will that work? Thanks in advance

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My partner and I scout that early for deer and elk, but the success of the trip depends on the amount of snow left up high from the winter.

David could answer the deer question better, but I always figure on the first if July for the deer to be in their summer feeding area. Sometimes it will be later than that, but again, others could answer this better than me.

Foldem

WKR
Last year mid June was too early, but that was with exceptionally heavy snowpack. I was seeing bucks in the high country in July though. I am making a trip in June, July, and August this year.

cnelk

WKR
Mid to late July would be my choice. You will be able to see some good antler development by then

GrayGhost

FNG
I have been going out to CO the third week of July each year for a long weekend and I have never had any trouble getting to 11K to glass. Last year was the most snow I saw up high in three years but it still was very manageable. David is the one that turned me on to the Third week or last week in July. Totally agree on the snow melt. I was told last year that two weeks before I got there it would have been tough to get in. Coming from the East coast I made lots of contacts in and around the area I hunt so they can keep me posted on the conditions when I call them. Including local outfitters and local motels/bed and breakfast style places.

D

david long

I normally begin scouting in late July. By then, bucks are pretty much settled into their summer areas and I can feel confident that I can relocate them.

OP
dirtytough
Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully there isn't to much snow in June, so I can at least get the lay of the land. I will head down again 2 weeks later to scout a week, and again in August for another week. The end of July is when I'm planning on going home and scouting Washington for a week. Not perfect, but the best I can do with the way my time off schedule is.

Snow pack in some areas is down 14-20% currently, but the biggest snow months are just arriving. You can go just one Valley or Range over with totally different snow pack.