SCOUTING FOR ANTELOPE

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tag for 9/1-9/15 archery and was curious as to when I should start scouting? Is July to early?

Last edited:

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
I would say it depends on the area your hunting. Is there a seasonal food or water source that the antelope are using now that they likely won’t be using in September? If it is basically grasslands with a few well established watering holes they will likely be in the same general areas in July as in September

sndmn11

WKR
You can scout now. Get familiar with what animals are where and why, and it will be easy to piece together later if something is disruptive. They are also the neatest animal to watch.

j_volt

WKR
For me, a big part of scouting antelope is familiarizing myself with prime glassing locations, road conditions, and general areas that antelope like to be. All of the above can be figured out now, so any time is a good time

rclouse79

WKR
Are you doing spot and stock, or sitting water? Where I hunt it is not about scouting, it is about putting your blind up before someone else. Last year I thought I would be sneaky and head down the day before you were allowed to set them up so I could do it at midnight. There were dudes camped out on the 10 plus holes I checked. One turd even had his blind set up in a wilderness area 11 days before the season which it surely not allowed. I enjoy everything about the antelope archery season except fighting the pressure. It was way worse last year for some reason. On the bright side it led me to find a new more secluded spot.

Epi610

FNG
Been fortunate to have been on a number of antelope hunts. Similar to what was stated above, the more you can familiarize yourself with the bucks in your area the better prepared you will be come season. Having an idea of your top choices, where they are hanging out, vantage points around them, etc will all benefit you. In summation-not too early

deziner75

FNG
Don't be afraid to pick up the phone or email the region's game warden or biologist either. My region's guys have been super helpful and responsive.

Don't be afraid to pick up the phone or email the region's game warden or biologist either. My region's guys have been super helpful and responsive.

In addition: if reference specific information from the Job Completion Reports in your questions I find you get an increased quality of answer. The biologists really do appreciate us hunters doing the research and getting into the science in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diderr33

FNG
Antelope move a ton and seem to have little or no patterns. Heavy on the e-scouting and find water. In person scouting will help find if an area holds trophy bucks