Scouting for Late Season AZ Rifle Tag

I drew my first elk tag. It is a rifle, any elk tag for 11/5-12/9. Any preseason scouting tips? I was thinking of going in early September. Is that worth my time or are the elk I find in September going to be in a completely different area by November?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
The bulls will be in different areas in Nov/Dec. You could go in Sept and still get valuable information, but don't focus too much on where the elk are then. Look for water sources and nasty steep canyons/drainages/north slopes where they will eventually end up. Get a feel for the unit and road system, that alone can save you a day or two on your hunt.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Any elk unit that is open for a month in AZ isnt a good unit and it will require extensive scouting.

OP
J
Thanks for the input guys. It is a late season opportunity hunt. I'll definitely put the scouting time in. It is an any elk tag, so I will be happy to take a cow or bull.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
As was already stated, scout as close to your hunt date as possible since the bulls' locations will be different from September. Plan to hunt as many days as possible and don't give up, the elk are there.

Attachments

• IMG_7792.JPG
    IMG_7792.JPG
    473.3 KB · Views: 18

fmyth

WKR
The 5 or 6 hunts prior to yours will push the elk into areas where they won't likely be found in September prior to the first archery hunt..

fmyth

WKR
As was already stated, scout as close to your hunt date as possible since the bulls' locations will be different from September. Plan to hunt as many days as possible and don't give up, the elk are there.
I won't ask what unit but am curious as to what part of the state that beautiful bull was found.