Scouting for mid to late october

Tags are secured for October rifle. Problem is I know nothing other than what ive read on here. Not asking for freebies, just wondering with so much ground to scout and look at what am I looking for? What are elk relating to in that time frame? Also what is one thing you wouldn't leave the truck without to spend a week in the back country

Not enough information. What state? In Wyoming mid October is the first day of the season. In other states the elk have adjusted to pressure by then.

Mid October is the second rut so if you’re not in an area that gets pounded you might consider that.

OP
A
Sorry, central idaho. Didn't wanna be that guy that seems like I'm asking for someone's spot.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Tags are secured for October rifle. Problem is I know nothing other than what ive read on here. Not asking for freebies, just wondering with so much ground to scout and look at what am I looking for? What are elk relating to in that time frame? Also what is one thing you wouldn't leave the truck without to spend a week in the back country
Never been to Idaho and I haven’t killed an elk so I don’t think I’m qualified to give you good advice on that other than knowing October can be extremely variable in terms of weather. Mid October this year day 1 of my hunt I was overheating while wearing shorts and end of day 3 we had full on winter conditions with 6 inches of snow.

One thing you have to bring is something that gives you the ability to dry your gear, especially boots. Something that has become quite popular is a lightweight stove-heated tent. I have one from Seek Outside and it’s awesome. Also make sure you get good clothing and boots. They’re the most likely thing to send you home early if you don’t have them right.

Huntnnw

WKR
new spot, pick a area and get high as you can and glass,glass and glass some more. Put eyes on elk and you have a starting point. One thing I wouldnt leave without on a mid october backcountry hunt is quality rain gear.