Scouting help

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I was wondering if it's worth while to go scout for elk this early in the game. I'm doing an internship this summer, and am 10 hours driving from the unit I drew (New Mexico 16c) so since this will be my only chance to head that way (unless plans change) other than Labor Day or 4th of July, I was wondering if it's worth it to head that way yet.

Also when I do scout, what exactly am I looking for other than just live elk and mapping the terrain? Like should I make note of what food and water sources are there and that sort of thing? Or is all that useless knowledge when it comes down to business?

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I was wondering if it's worth while to go scout for elk this early in the game. I'm doing an internship this summer, and am 10 hours driving from the unit I drew (New Mexico 16c) so since this will be my only chance to head that way (unless plans change) other than Labor Day or 4th of July, I was wondering if it's worth it to head that way yet.

Also when I do scout, what exactly am I looking for other than just live elk and mapping the terrain? Like should I make note of what food and water sources are there and that sort of thing? Or is all that useless knowledge when it comes down to business?

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Hey man, if you check out Randy Newberg on YouTube it might solve quite a few of your questions. He has an overview of e-scouting where he tells you everything he's looking for and how to find areas to look into. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul B

Lil-Rokslider
If you have never hunted the unit it would be beneficial still. You can learn good glassing points, water locations, etc.

Akicita

WKR
If you have never hunted the unit it would be beneficial still. You can learn good glassing points, water locations, etc.

^^^BINGO^^^ Scouting isn't always about where they are but where they will be. Learn the terrain and look for rut holes, wallows and scrapes from last years party and you'll be ready to dial it in closer when the season gets here.

Tejasbow

FNG
Pretty much been covered.

Feet on the ground, eyes on the terrain/ roads, etc etc etc are priceless when planning a trip. A man that understands animals and knows what they are looking for can make some good plans with old sign and just terrain.

If you have never hunted this unt, it may over rated. But simple things such as where you are camping, public access points, main game trails and so on. Also how close is the nearest town, what do they have available, " ice, groceries, hotel, restaurants, local horse packer in case you drop a bull further then you can or are willing to pack out on foot". All simple things that can make a hunt run much smoother.
Made this mistake on my very first elk hunt in Wyoming. Looked great on google earth, but it was five miles down into a valley and a 2 hour drive one way just to get ice, water and diesel.

nvgoosehntr

Lil-Rokslider
I learned so much from my first scouts which were limited to 4th july and labor day weekend that it was totally worth it. There were some of the elk in the same general areas but the info I learned about the roads, campsites, trails, etc were invaluable. That coupled with e-scouting I already had plans a-f so I wasn't wasting time when I got there.

I learned so much from my first scouts which were limited to 4th july and labor day weekend that it was totally worth it. There were some of the elk in the same general areas but the info I learned about the roads, campsites, trails, etc were invaluable. That coupled with e-scouting I already had plans a-f so I wasn't wasting time when I got there.

I agree with this. A lot of times you figure out what not to hunt so your time is better spent on the actual hunt. Anytime you can get out and put on the miles is a good thing. If you have the time, go for it!