Scouting/Hunting Trip Timing

swiftni

FNG
I’m new to archery mule deer hunting, and I’m planning my second western (first mule deer) trip for next year. I can’t make it out very early to scout, but I can show up a few days before season to get some scouting in.

Here is my question - If you had 8 days total to be in country, how would you split that time up? Would you show up 4 days before season to scout and hunt 4 days? Would you give yourself 2 scouting days and 6 hunting days? Etc.

I fully intend on scouting and scouting hard before season, and I’m curious as to how experienced mule deer hunters would strategize their time.

svivian

WKR
as many days as I could get having a bow in my hand no question.... Nothing worst then seeing a bunch of bucks you cant shoot to then not find them later or even worst not see anything at all chasing ghosts.

WCB

WKR
I'd go with 8 days hunting. You can always burn a day or so driving around "scouting" but what happens when you see a buck and can't shoot it? MAYBE show up a solid day before season to get a lay of the terrain but I have done many trips never setting foot in a unit or piece of property and didn't feel ill prepared. IMO hunting is hunting.

EdP

WKR
You didn't say whether you are hunting public or private, but since it sounds like a DIY hunt I'll for with public. One thing you cannot scout preseason is other hunters, and they are likely to be present on public once the season opens. Regardless of other reasons, that alone is reason enough to plan to have the opportuntiy to shoot all 8 days.

OP
swiftni

swiftni

FNG
You didn't say whether you are hunting public or private, but since it sounds like a DIY hunt I'll for with public. One thing you cannot scout preseason is other hunters, and they are likely to be present on public once the season opens. Regardless of other reasons, that alone is reason enough to plan to have the opportuntiy to shoot all 8 days.
Good point, it would be DIY public. Thanks for the response!

With a bow, I would have to agree with everyone above. Rifle would be a a different story. I also wouldn't get too married to a spot. If you're not seeing anything, best to be on the move. It might take a couple days of watching a deer to where you can actually make a play on one

OP
swiftni

swiftni

FNG
Thanks everyone for the responses, definitely going to take this advice into account for next year’s planning.

jbranski

FNG
Good info will be using for my first Muley hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk