Scouting in MT

hobbes

WKR
I moved to MT from CO back in September 2011 (terrible time to move). I've been scouting some, but have struggled partly because the areas close by are so different than the alpine/treeline stuff I spent most of my time in Colorado. This is some thick timbered country. Also, this area is loaded with atv access.

My son and I finally found what appears to be a good concentration of elk in an area that requires some hiking and restricts atv travel. In addition to the sign, we got to listen to a herd of cows talking ahead of us as they moved off to bed. I thought I'd try to share some photos:

Picture068.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture122.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
My 13 yr old. This will be his first year to hunt elk and mule deer due to missing last season during our move.
Picture110.jpg

A couple small muleys from our muley unit that he would be happy to kill with his bow.
Picture045.jpg

Picture038.jpg

MT_Nate

FNG
Hey Hobbes. I'm thinking I remember you from the SageCreek forums. What part of Montana are you living in? The country your pics show looks alot like the north central continental divide (lodgepoles, some parks, and a ton of beetle kill). It looks like some good country, and if that's the area, then you'll have plenty of elk to chase. My buddies over there always rib me about how many they're getting into...

Either way (and not meaning to quote Guns 'N' Roses)...but...WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!

You may not spot elk from 2 miles away as often, but I'll bet that thick MT timber will raise the super close encounters you have under 20 yards to comprise 95% of every elk encounter you have this season. Sure gets a guy's heart pumping. Best of luck to you and your son this season!

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting to see your comment about atv access. Is it legal access? All the places I hunt in Montana restrict the use of atv's to forest service roads. That include Plum Creek and Stoltz owned lands. This country is lousy with gates!

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
The ATV access I'm concerned about is in the Big Belts. There appear to be ATV trails everywhere. The area in the photos does not have ATV access and is not in the Belts.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I have only hunted the Big Belts once, on the White Sulpher Springs side about ten years ago during rifle season. I didn't see any atv activity then, but that was then.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
There are a lot of "Less the 50 inch" trails that are open up until October 15, so most of them are closed during Rifle season. There is still a lot of country without them, but I suspect the atv's access will make it difficult to get away from folks in archery season.