Scouting Mulies 2021...

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
Is that because of the cwd management plan or is that not happened in your area? Wondering if those older bucks got shot out last few years.

The late dates are not helping the age class.. Or the infinite wisdom of CPW is starting to show up in the real world setting…. This will be a cumulative effect that will be more prevalent as the years continue.

Also I have been looking over new areas and should go through most of my old haunts over the next month. So my numbers should in all likelihood improve.

With that said I had a real good past 4 days. Got rained out of my original plan but adjusted and did find a shooter buck and a couple others that will finish off real well. Shooters at this point don’t hit the Inet but here is one that is looking pretty darn good 👍 and would be hard to pass up..

9213C8F5-CCB2-4285-8AB6-8A8FF2DFEB20.jpeg1C8289BC-9AFA-4045-A464-62B9E2E84DC7.jpeg

danarnold

WKR
d5ab371847c7719bf3e2a8024f22478f.jpg

I saw him in person 2X once in the morning and once in the afternoon with 7 other bucks, on our place in Custer county

longjoshr

FNG
Making the drive west to WY Saturday so I can spend a week getting an idea on access, terrain, possible camping spots, herd numbers, etc. Turning up what I consider shooters will be icing on the cake but since I won’t be back out til mid-October not too worried about where they are now. Just wanting to learn the units we’ve decided to hunt in the region and see how things compare to the job completion reports herd wise.
Doing the same myself in a few weeks. Which region did you draw if you don't mind me asking?

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m pretty new to the mule deer scene but I E scouted a place that I was close too when I went hiking with the wife a couple of weeks ago and then went out this morning and struck out. Found a lot of fresh and old poop in one area and was thinking of throwing up a trail cam there to see if they frequent the area or are just passing through. Any advice for a FNG? Scouting CA D14 and I know it’s a high pressure zone but it’s local to me so I’m just trying to get a closer hunt in this year. Should I just keep trying this area? When do you pull out of an area and try someplace new? Oh I was also about 8,400 in elevation. had water in my area as well but it did rain last night and I think that made the deer happy with where they were.

Last edited:
I have been out 5 times now and I have seen a lot of bucks. Still searching, a ton of two points which is good to see.

Fatcamp

WKR
I won't even see my unit this year until I arrive 2 days prior to opener. We have had quite the string of medical events in our family this summer which really cut down on our traveling. Oh well, this is my third season there. I don't need to know specifics to know it holds big deer, and if someone else has discovered it there is nothing I can do about it.

Three weeks. Pack is ready, glass is clean and gathered, shelters are organized, vacation time is granted. A bit of mechanic work and some groceries are all that's left.

I've got a small shopping list left, and need to dehydrate another half dozen meals. Other than that, it's packing groceries, and keeping the shooting tuned in till go time in CO.

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
I've got a small shopping list left, and need to dehydrate another half dozen meals. Other than that, it's packing groceries, and keeping the shooting tuned in till go time in CO.
I still need a license 😂. Lucky to have a couple buddies w tags even if I don’t end up w one 👍.

I still need a license 😂. Lucky to have a couple buddies w tags even if I don’t end up w one 👍.
That reminds me, I need to review regs on CWD reporting, and grouse killing. I have the license, but I'm not 100% on what needs to happen after I shoot one this fall.