Scouting Mulies 2021...

ColoradoV

WKR
So who is or will soon be getting out? The longer in the tooth I get - I almost enjoy finding a big bucks more than hunting big bucks so the next 2 months or so is a time I look forward to every year.

Alpine or desert it does not matter as it is always fun to hear conditions and what folks are running into. As pics are always fun to see here is one to get the ball rolling.

6274CDB6-EE3E-4DB9-8DA1-860B72F11A85.jpeg

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
Holy cats! Is that this year?

I'm always looking. This weekend will be partly spent searching some new ground. Probably won't have time to spend on it this year though. Primary area will be the focus for archery and I will start looking around there in a month.

Broke out the Wyoming maps this morning. Probably won't go scout though, just rely on previous knowledge.

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
No that pic is not this year they are just past the ears here about to the first fork. That guy was from a buck from few years ago.

Actually that is the only buck I chased that year. Almost got him a couple times but no dice - ended up eating that tag..

Jimss

WKR
I'm heading to Western Colo and Wyo to scout quite a few times this summer and fall. The bucks I've had on my game cams on the Front Range haven't developed much yet so I'm waiting a little bit longer. Can't wait to get started!

Heading out a week from Monday for the first back country scouting trip here in CA. Also scouting for Wyoming and Colorado tags a little later this summer. Can’t wait to get glass on some velvet bucks!!!

Fatcamp

WKR
Couple hour hike today. Didn't see any deer. First time in a new area. I chose the half that's being grazed right now. 🙁

So who is or will soon be getting out? The longer in the tooth I get - I almost enjoy finding a big bucks more than hunting big bucks so the next 2 months or so is a time I look forward to every year.

Alpine or desert it does not matter as it is always fun to hear conditions and what folks are running into. As pics are always fun to see here is one to get the ball rolling.

I've been thinking the same thing. I did some scouting a few weeks ago and saw the buck below. I dont know if this is good size wise this time of year (no real experience this early in the year) but he's probably worth watching.Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 5.23.47 PM.png

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
I'll start in July.
Seems like most people on the forum are sitting on the couch all summer and relying on stupid questions to do their scouting for them.
It does seem to get more prevalent every year. Still there is a core group of guys who get out in each state and fortune seems to shine on them pretty regularly..

Last weekend in June but I might try and sneak out for a quick overnight this weekend.

View attachment 300185
Man, I'm right there with ya. Love love love this time of year. I like just checking numbers of deer in various favorite spots, as well as trying to find new areas with deer and the best glassing spot to watch them. Found a big bachelor herd the other day!

I think you can definitely tell mature deer from dinks right now, but hard to say after that. My birthday is the 19th of July, and that weekend seems to really begin the mark where antler growth shapes up to tell you more about the deer.

Attachments

• IMG_2963AA635977-1.jpeg
    IMG_2963AA635977-1.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 244

Jimss

WKR
I'm still twiddling my thumbs waiting for velvet to grow a bit more. As mentioned above it certainly gets the blood pumping watching velvet bucks. The downside is that many of the monster=mossback bucks tend to disappear into thin air once they shed their velvet! I'm sure this has happened many times to seasoned muley guys?

Fatcamp

WKR
My scouting trip was a bust, word on the street is that some areas of SD have lost much of their deer herd, and this trip would seem to verify that.

Bummer because it would have opened up a new area to me. Very few tracks and never saw a deer. I have plenty to keep me busy this Fall already, but I had wanted to explore this area for a couple years. Sucks the deer are struggling.

CorbLand

WKR
Went out the other night and spent a couple hours behind the glass. Saw a couple good bulls and one buck that never gave me a great look at his head gear.

Lytro

WKR
I usually start my deer scouting around the last week of July and use the pronghorn archery season to scout right up to the archery deer season opener. Some of my areas are a little green yet this early in the summer and don’t give a very accurate depiction of what early September will be like. Once corn and milo is near maturity on the plains, it’s game on for me!

Pics from one of the bachelor groups I was scouting last year.

Attachments

• 3CD69AAF-91EC-45C3-B352-66F9D1F80A92.jpeg
    3CD69AAF-91EC-45C3-B352-66F9D1F80A92.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 24C6F638-0B04-46C6-9336-FDBDB56F274C.jpeg
    24C6F638-0B04-46C6-9336-FDBDB56F274C.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 23778079-A03B-4800-8CA0-9FB98FF7B7BD.jpeg
    23778079-A03B-4800-8CA0-9FB98FF7B7BD.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 237
I've been out the last two weekends and going in the morning. Mostly SE ID. I saw a pretty decent fork today and a few does nothing super exciting yet.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy called me last Tuesday morning, said he center punched one his with work truck that morning north of boise. Said it looked like it would have been a good buck. He went back later to take pictures of it after work and just found foot and drag marks.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
I'm drifting in the same boat as you, Colorado. Getting way too long in the tooth, but am cursed with a lifelong habit of humping the high country early on, always searching for big mulies. Just like to see them, I guess. Usually am out after 4th of July. My birthday is July 22nd, and two years in a row I saw what was probably a 230+ non-typical in almost the exact same spot on my birthday. Same deer, same spot, two years in a row. Can still see him in my mind almost 30 years later. Enough to keep me climbing the high country, year after year after year.