Scouting Season

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
My Second favorite season...

Found water in a relatively secluded spot... Littered with deer tracks.

RX8Qjun.jpg

Followed this 2 track up to the dunes

V5TbOvg.jpg

Saw 1 doe, then a group of 3... Then 6 more.

Eg6Y5Si.jpg

5 mile hike. 1 cam set. 91 degrees when I got back to the truck at 6.

Now I just have to resist the temptation to check that cam.

Who else is on the scout?

JustHunt

FNG
Haven't made it out to scout yet. I don't do any in state scouting, so I'm waiting until I get the opportunity (from work) to get out of this concrete jungle for 3 or 4 days. I am ready to get out there now. Good luck in your scouting, ide be interested to see what comes in to that water. Thanks for posting.

OP
Nomad

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to set the cam right over that puddle but I ended up putting it on a trail with good sign about a half mile out. I've got a couple cheap cams coming in this week. I'm Prob gonna head back out soon and put one on it and the other in a spot tbd.

The game warden Ive been in contact with has been very helpful... If you ask the right questions. I'm pretty sure I'm entertaining the absolute shit outta him.

I am going out this weekend to set two of my cameras up. In the wonderful expanse of Northern Idaho. I should be able to check them every 3 weeks, at least that is my plan. I get to check the cameras and get a nice 18 mile round trip up and down hike in plus an overnight camping trip. So I think of it as scouting/training.

bounds

WKR
Nice Nomad. Where in west Tx are you/is your spot? Is that public or private? Water holes have to be pretty productive out there.

OP
Nomad

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I am going out this weekend to set two of my cameras up. In the wonderful expanse of Northern Idaho. I should be able to check them every 3 weeks, at least that is my plan. I get to check the cameras and get a nice 18 mile round trip up and down hike in plus an overnight camping trip. So I think of it as scouting/training.

Your summer scouting trips are gonna be a lot more enjoyable than mine. Good luck.

OP
Nomad

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I realize we're now post-hunt for many but I've still got some scouting time left before my January Archery Mule Deer hunt in SE NM.

Some pics from late June (Edit for month)- The dunes...
4yn1AOR.jpg

Something funny in this pic (not the critter I was looking for)
002jRqn.jpg

Close enough...
uujhZKC.jpg

Not many deer pics, but the daytime temps were blazing pretty good from May - June in the desert
5Mt97af.jpg

RMAxwXD.jpg

24gjVFt.jpg

I placed two more cameras that day so hopefully I should have 4 months worth of pics on 3 cams. With the deer density of that area and the normal desert temps of July-Sept, I still don't expect to get a ton of good info from these cams. It has been cooler over the last couple weeks though so I'm hoping to at least see a little bit of horn out of the surely 1000s of pics I'll be wading through.

Headed out this weekend to swap card and batteries. More to come... fingers crossed.

Last edited: