Scouting services ??

Savagenut

WKR
Anyone used a scouting service ? Planning elk hunt in 2022. Currently accruing points in several states but looking at eastern central Wyoming as my first hunt. I’d like to find a place or unit that I can get to know and hunt every couple years. Really can’t swing the outfitter thing, though I think it would be a good place to learn a lot. Living in Michigan makes scouting difficult. So thinking about using a scouting service to get me a few more days of hunting. Anyone used one before? Experience? Thanks much!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
We scout 4 u is who I'd look at first for a scouting package if I was in the market.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I gave this some thought. My first DIY elk hunt was in 2018 and pretty difficult, there were elk but it was an issue of not knowing "how" to kill one. Preparing for my 2020 hunt, different state, I thought about a scouting service but didn't pull the trigger. In 2020 we got in close to a herd bull but couldn't get it done, we were in elk and chased some bugles and had a good time but didn't kill an elk. Long story short, if I was an accomplished elk hunter going into a new area it would be a good investment to cut the time it might take to get on the elk. If I had been several times and had zero encounters I would think it might be a worthwhile investment but knowing where they are, or have been doesn't equate to knowing how to kill them especially in an area with a lot of predators, two and for legged.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I tried one years ago. Guy turned out to be a convicted poacher... Don't mess up like me.
We used him too. Paid for maps and pictures. Problem was his honey hole was known to others. We found 6 different deer that had been boned out front the previous couple of seasons.

HoytHntr4

WKR
I see a lot of outfitters offering these in Arizona. I’m curious if anyone has used one of their packages and how it did or didn’t help

wytx

WKR
Check laws in Wyoming. They can not sell you animal locations I believe is how it is worded .
For our part of Wyoming you do not need a scouting service. Elk are literally everywhere.
If you're talking about that trophy area in EC Wyoming then boots on the ground looking at access is your best bet.

pm me with question about our area here in SE Wyo if you want.

“Location of a specific animal” means just that. Information on how and where to hunt does not fall under that definition.

I used Joe at www.headinwest.net
He was a great guy, spent time with me understanding what I wanted to do, how I wanted to do it, and my experience hunting.
His plans where awesome! I am 2 for 2 self hunting bulls in Wyoming.

bozeman

WKR
My only concern for such a service is, how many other people have they sold this 'info' to..........maybe not many people return to these spots.........

My only concern for such a service is, how many other people have they sold this 'info' to..........maybe not many people return to these spots.........
Yep, just like the "hot spots" and other sd card fishing spots you can buy for your bottom machine for fishing, if you bought it, so did lots of other people.

I think they where these services probably are worth their weight in gold is for folks who can't pull their head out of their ass to do things themselves. Whether its their kids, their job, lack of ability or knowledge to use the web...all of the above, some people just won't make the time to do what they need to do and would rather pay someone to get results instead of doing it themselves. Just like the application services....

OP
S

Savagenut

WKR
Yep, just like the "hot spots" and other sd card fishing spots you can buy for your bottom machine for fishing, if you bought it, so did lots of other people.

I think they where these services probably are worth their weight in gold is for folks who can't pull their head out of their ass to do things themselves. Whether its their kids, their job, lack of ability or knowledge to use the web...all of the above, some people just won't make the time to do what they need to do and would rather pay someone to get results instead of doing it themselves. Just like the application services....

And some people just pay trespass fees. To each their own. Sorry was that one too close to home?

Last edited:
OP
S

Savagenut

WKR
Not sure why this is an issue for some. I mean a guy can pay 7500 for an outfitted hunt or can purchase access through trespass fees or even leases and that’s ok? A guy that wants some help learning the lay of the land and get pointed in the right direction, that’s a problem? Surprising.

Still looking for any feedback on these services. PM If you prefer. Thanks.

Deadfall

WKR
Not sure why this is an issue for some. I mean a guy can pay 7500 for an outfitted hunt or can purchase access through trespass fees or even leases and that’s ok? A guy that wants some help learning the lay of the land and get pointed in the right direction, that’s a problem? Surprising.

Aint no problem. Just didn't know it wasa thing

I'm always amazed also. Its fine to use guides and outfitters. But a lesser service is the absolute devil!

I'm always amazed also. Its fine to use guides and outfitters. But a lesser service is the absolute devil!

One person responded negatively. You are assuming that they use guides and outfitters but dont like scouting services. Being a bit dramatic.