Scouting Tips Oak Brush/Pinyon/Sage Country

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Drew a 3rd Season Colorado tag in the NW corner of the state. I spent the better part of 2 days learning access points and accessibility of the units last week. Water was hard to come by but we got some good rain while I was there. Growth is looking up. Elevation from 7800' to 5800'. Oak brush to Pinyon to sage country with some burns from 2012 and 2018.

I glassed a good pinyon burn one evening and did not see a single deer, kinda discouraging. The following morning I glassed a large sage/ pinyon flat and only turned up a dow/fawn pair. Driving through the higher part of the unit in the rain and through the private tracts, deer were everywhere. That also seemed like the area that had the most moisture.

Any tips for scouting this country knowing I will be there 3rd Season? What am I looking for? Deer, Habitat, Rutting Areas(what would these even look like)? Do the deer migrate into these areas from higher elevation units? Are they still in sanctuary mode away from roads? Not a lot of traffic out there so I was hoping to see more action just driving through.

I will put boots on the ground at least twice again before season and don't want to waste my time. Happy to talk unit numbers Privately.

Thanks for the help!

street

WKR
Remember that doe fawn spot. 3rd season bucks will show up. Clearly they did last year. My 2c