Scouting Tips

atod9

FNG
I'm looking for guidance/tips on scouting. I'm new to bow hunting, and have primarily gun hunted private land over bait in the past.

Looking to hunt East Texas public land. I just got everything for a saddle setup, and even though it's already into gun season here, there are some archery only areas I'd like to try to hunt still.

I use onX and have been looking at the maps for changes in the vegetation/trees, looking for draws where there may be a little creek or low area, and looking for areas that aren't right off the road. What else should I be looking for?
When I actually get boots on the ground, because it's already season I'd like to go in and set up when I find a good spot. What else should I look for once I can see it? Scrapes and rubs, or is it too late for that?

Thanks in advance!

rj2

WKR
What is the terrain like? farmland, swampy, hilly, big woods, etc.?

that will change what features to look for on the maps.

rubs and scrapes should still be visible all over, but I wouldn't count on bucks hitting them during daylight at this point. if anything, look for spots with heavy buck sign like that, and then look around/on map for places within maybe 2-300 yards where you think buck might like to bed. sometimes heavy sign can mean you are getting close to their bedroom

OP
A

atod9

FNG
Big woods. Some clearings, but lots of woods and decent underbrush. There will be areas that are heavy pines, and then transition to more hardwoods (a lot of times near a stream or draw of some kind). That's usually what I look for, I just don't know much beyond that.

When looking for possible bedding areas do they usually go to areas with thick brush? What if there are a lot of those areas?

rj2

WKR
big woods are the hardest to scout IMO but you definitely sound on the right track. pine > hardwood transitions would be good, but the deer will skirt the edges of the pines since pines usually have minimal undergrowth and the deer dont like feeling exposed.

the thickest nastiest brushy stuff is usually where I expect the bedding areas. usually its easy to see natural trails going in/coming out of those types of areas. you might also find some rub lines going into them. I like hunting off the edges of that kind of stuff that you dont even want to try to walk through. just try to stand downwind of those types of areas