Scouting trip questions

I drew an October 23-27 elk rifle hunt in New Mexico. This is my first elk hunt. Weekend before last me and a buddy went to the unit I’m hunting to scout and get more familiar. First night where we camped we heard bugles all night long. It was so exciting I could hardly sleep. The next day we hiked and drove around and did not see any elk. Moved location several miles away and late that evening glassed a monster bull and cows 2.6 miles away. That night heard zero bugles. Next morning moved again towards where we heard the bugles the first night. Seen a ton of elk sign but didn’t see any elk. My question is, is any of this information going to do me any good come October? I know a lot is going to change between now and then. The elk will be in a different phase and probably moved around from the pressure. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

An answer would require more information about where they are now. Elevation? What are they eating? Any private land around for a gun season refuge?

OP
Newtexican
An answer would require more information about where they are now. Elevation? What are they eating? Any private land around for a gun season refuge?
Elevation was 7-8k. While the unit I’m hunting is 97% public the units to east and west does have some private land. The unit I’m hunting is anywhere from 5 to 10 miles wide. I never got a good feel for what they were eating.

Gila

WKR
Depends on where the unit is...The elk migrate in the Northwest - Northern units. The last week of October may see a lot of elk where you have seen them before or they have moved. Depends on where the migration corridors are.

In Southern New Mexico, the elk don’t migrate, they move up and down. During the rut they will be moving around alot. In October they will settle into their winter area. 7-8k is about right for many areas in Southern New Mexico. The desert is a mile high at least. The forage is different in the South.