Scouting trip Wake up times?

2rocky

WKR
When you do a summer scouting trip, how diligent are you about being out at first light?

I'm usually more concerned with getting to know the lay of the land, and seem to still spot animals in the evening at last light.

Also I'm usually trying to make the trip a vacation for someone prettier and less experienced in the outdoors.

How do you balance the Scouting trip?

Our group hasn't been that serious about waking up before the crack of dawn when scouting. Our trips are always vacation based with good friends, family, shooting things, fishing , late night campfire stories, and lots of beer! But we still do get some hiking in and stay out late to try and get some glassing in. Just try and make it fun, I believe learning the country can be just as daunting as finding animals. Some of my best memories come from summer camping and scouting trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDog00

WKR
If you are out to scout and can glass you need to be up at first light. You could see something in the morning but not at night and visa versa. If you just plan on hiking around and figuring out water sources, feeding areas etc. then it's probably not as important.

Where I elk hunt it wouldn't be important and I would probably get more out of a few trail cameras due to the more dense forest. On the other hand, my mule deer country requires more glossing than anything. If I'm trying to figure out where the bucks are I need to be up early glassing. I would say I spend the first/last 2-3 hours of light behind my glass.

I too plan trips during the summer with my wife (who most would consider high maintenance) and she simply sleeps while I'm up glassing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

If I spend the time to drive at least a couple hours and hike at least a few miles I'm definitely waking up before dawn to glass.

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
Well I know for a fact that the Elk won't be where they are now come the Rifle season in October when my tag is good for. The Warden and Biologist both made that clear. It would be nice to see some antler, and get an idea of what is in the area. I'm angling for maybe a bivy night out away from the road where I might be able to glass some of the high basins and find some bachelor herds..Kinda like this..

IMG_2229.jpg

11695476_10207086383226665_5042937374860600351_n.jpg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The elk will stay out longer during the summer than they will during hunting seasons. In some cases they'll stay out above timberline all day. So seeing them isn't generally an issue for scouting.

im not worried about an early start scouting. in a new area im mainly learning the trail systems, trying to get a feel for them so i can headlamp them in or out during season.possible camps,water, glassing spots,ect.
this is all after i have determined elk were there last fall of course.

In unfamiliar areas, it would be difficult to get out before first light without being able to distinguish land marks or terrain. We usually spot and stalk in the morning when hunting, and sit and wait in the evenings. So with that in mind, if I were scouting, I am thinking evening would be better for finding the Elk in an unfamiliar area, and if they are left undisturbed, they would still be in the same area the next am.
Of course, public land during hunting season, all bets are off, and it would be difficult to pattern their movements and the time.