Scouting your Honey Hole

I want to learn to elk hunt, anyone wanna share their honey hole?

Just kidding, posted that for attention.

Over the last 4 years, I've gotten lucky and have tagged out 3 of the 4 years. However, I've always gone with folks who already knew where to hunt and it was always rifle hunts. In 2020, I'll be doing my first archery elk hunt. I've been archery deer hunting for over 20 years (wow that makes me feel old), so I'm not new to archery hunting. I plan on putting in for a few states and if not drawn, I'll likely OTC in CO. I also plan on spending a few weekends flying out and scouting over the spring/summer. My question is if I locate elk in the spring and summer, should I assume they'll be there during the rut? Of course I'd have a option b, c, and d at the least.

Any helpful info/tips is appreciated.

Most of the areas I hunt, you can't access until July due to snow. I really do not start scouting until July / August as the elk are just not in there late summer fall range until then. However, you can look for last years sign earlier, like rubs, trails, bedding areas, wallows etc. These areas typically get hit year over year depending on hunting pressure.

OP
isItFallYet
Most of the areas I hunt, you can't access until July due to snow. I really do not start scouting until July / August as the elk are just not in there late summer fall range until then. However, you can look for last years sign earlier, like rubs, trails, bedding areas, wallows etc. These areas typically get hit year over year depending on hunting pressure.

Good point on when to scout, thanks!

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
Watch the Born and Raised (BRO), HUSH, and Randy Newberg videos on YouTube. You will get an education. If you want something more local to Colorado you can look up my channel at "Royal Point Hunting". Not as good as these top of the line providers but you can see some of what Colorado has to offer. Watch "A Mountain of Bulls 2" or "Jurrasic Parks" as a sample.

Good Luck, Hondo

Wrench

WKR
If you want to see a bunch of bulls, drive 47 miles up the joe from St. Maries. When you pass TFP's be on the lookout for Sheffys. Walk 30 feet from your rig, through the first door and on your right is a bunch of elk. You're welcome.