Scouting

Mckinnon

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2012
Messages
711
Location
Reno, NV
I have never hunted antelope, so please excuse my ignorance! I told one of my buddies that I was gonna go scout my unit this weekend as I just drew a tag. He started laughing at me and said "A bit early don't you think?". Is that even possible to be out scouting too early? It seems to me that the more I get out there and learn habits and terrain the better chance that I have.... Any input on this would appreciated!
 

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
4,110
Location
Western MT
I don't think it is too early. Even if the animals haven't moved into the hunting area, you are still learning your way around, which is also important.
 

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
2,764
Location
Buckley, WA
I don't think its too early either, Like BB said, your learning the area. I don't think there is such a thing as scouting too early to be honest!
 

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 9, 2012
Messages
3,283
Location
Reno,NV
It's always good to get out and scout, when I drew my nv lope tag, I was scouting mid June and I saw the same bucks near the sae areas I had written I seen them before so no it's not too early.
 

Lukem

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2012
Messages
627
Location
Nebraska
We're in the middle of fawning, so the wintering groups have broken, or are in the process of breaking up. The bucks should be getting into their summer routine which means establishing territories. There'll be some change obviously, but I'd expect that many of the bucks won't be too far from where you might find them now.
 

rfurman24

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2012
Messages
1,707
I do not have a great deal of experience but i can tell you that finding the general area of the bigger bucks is most of the hunt. I you have the opportunity to scout I would not pass it up.
 

Jason Stafford

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
123
Location
Wyoming
I saw a bunch of bucks last weekend. It is a great idea to get out and learn the area well before season. Take a camera and post some pics!!
 

justin davis

Moderator
Joined
Feb 24, 2012
Messages
3,337
Location
Colorado
Never to early to scout. You can learn country. Locate waterholes and areas where they are hanging out in.
 

sreekers

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2012
Messages
1,254
Location
Wyoming
Scout early and often. Finding where the bucks are establishing their territory is important.
 

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
788
Location
Rapid City, SD
Scouting is a year-around deal for me. You can never be out scoutting "too early". Most of my hunts are 60% scouting and the other 40% to get the job done!
 

evan williams

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2012
Messages
1,628
Location
Colorado Springs
I agree 100%!! It is NEVER to early to "SCOUT". Most of my "SCOUTING TRIPS" aren't even to find or locate game they are to learn an area and the terrain features. If there are animals there great...some insight into where they are and then if I locate them in a different location later ... BONUS ... I have a point A and a point B I can look at the terrain and figure out travel routes.
 

Nick Muche

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2012
Messages
3,332
Location
Alaska
Man, I had a blast scouting last year for Pronghorn! I think I started going pretty hard in about May, as we were bear baiting on the two mountains on either side of the unit I planned on hunting. I carried that into the following months with whenever I could make it out there. Even the trips where I didn't find anything new as far as herds, I still learned the roads, public/private land and had a great overall concensus of the area well in advance of my hunt.

You can never scout too much... Just be aware, that where they are right now might not be where they are in Aug/Sep, but they will be in the same general area.

Good luck on your hunt. Are you doing Spot and Stalk or a waterhole? Hunting these guys is a blast, and if your anything like the rest of us, you'll fail on several stalks, They are a very humbling animal!! Especially with a bow.
 
OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2012
Messages
711
Location
Reno, NV
Scouted my unit this weekend and found 2 great bucks along with a bunch of other good ones that I am looking forward to chasing around! Thanks for the help guys! I think the most helpful part was actually studying the lay of the land os I know what I am dealing with terrain wise...
 

jamaro

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2012
Messages
92
GO out there and enjoy yourself... I would say spend more time learning the country than really trying to ID animals... Learn how to get around your unit and find good habitat....
 
Top