SD 35L archery deer

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting 35L for archery mule deer this year, I found a map that showed a lot of trails are only open seasonally but opposite of what I would have thought and open in the winter? Are these snowmobile trails? Just by looking at onX it looks like more badland type terrain to look for mule deer on the southern side? With the trails going through there I plan on just camping in the pickup and hiking out to spots to stay mobile. Unless the trails are closed northwest of hwy 79, then I may hike way back up in there to get away from the majority of hunting pressure.

Can anyone confirm the status of the trails in there? Passable with a pickup or is it more of atv trails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lytro

WKR
Hunting 35L for archery mule deer this year, I found a map that showed a lot of trails are only open seasonally but opposite of what I would have thought and open in the winter? Are these snowmobile trails? Just by looking at onX it looks like more badland type terrain to look for mule deer on the southern side? With the trails going through there I plan on just camping in the pickup and hiking out to spots to stay mobile. Unless the trails are closed northwest of hwy 79, then I may hike way back up in there to get away from the majority of hunting pressure.

Can anyone confirm the status of the trails in there? Passable with a pickup or is it more of atv trails?

Most of those are normal two track trails that are “closed” to all motorized traffic during hunting seasons. There aren’t any gates or anything, just small marker posts with the closed dates on them, so pay attention to where you’re driving and stay off them when you’re not supposed to be on them. They’re extremely easy to overlook. If the roads are open when you’re there, most vehicles with decent clearance can get down them, but they’re not really worth driving down with how open most of that country is. Those deer will take off from a long ways out when they see/hear vehicles and atv’s. They give out a lot of access permits as well, so don’t be surprised if you have plenty of company.

Side note: I know you said mule deer, but don’t be surprised if you end up seeing more whitetails than muleys depending on which piece of 35L you hunt.

WRM

WKR
Be prepared to have PLENTY of company.

Do watch your weather. Rain or snow that melts and the grease can get bad on some of those roads. Without (or even with) a fairly capable 4x4 you need to pay attention and know your limits.

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
Will hiking back way off the trails get away from most of the pressure or is that what most are doing there?

Lytro

WKR
Will hiking back way off the trails get away from most of the pressure or is that what most are doing there?

I don’t think you’re going to be out-hiking anyone. The area isn’t really that big when roads (that don’t close) go through the center of them. Go out in December and you’ll likely have the place to yourself though.