Sd Badlands

Fatcamp

WKR
1. Take a rangefinder.
2. Shoot the first buck you have within range.
3. Study maps to find low spots that can't be seen from the road.

I wish I had followed 1 & 2 my first attempts. Had 3 nailed pretty well.

Fatcamp

WKR
You are talking rifle tag if so killing a goat with a rifle isn’t hard if you are not looking for a booner

You wouldn't believe my ability to complicate things. Honestly, I look back and wonder wtf I was thinking.

wjj605

FNG
You are talking rifle tag if so killing a goat with a rifle isn’t hard if you are not looking for a booner
Yes, rifle tag. Will only be hunting 2-3 days however. Just want to try and harvest something, not looking for a giant! Have you ever hunted antelope around the Badlands? Thanks for the all the info!

wjj605

FNG
1. Take a rangefinder.
2. Shoot the first buck you have within range.
3. Study maps to find low spots that can't be seen from the road.

I wish I had followed 1 & 2 my first attempts. Had 3 nailed pretty well.
Thanks for the intel! I'll try to follow your advice!

KurtR

WKR
Yes, rifle tag. Will only be hunting 2-3 days however. Just want to try and harvest something, not looking for a giant! Have you ever hunted antelope around the Badlands? Thanks for the all the info!

Not that specific area but goats are pretty general. Get a good glassing spot try to guess which way they are going and work your way to them using what ever terrain features are there. A range finder is a must and being able to shoot 400 yards will help you. Don’t chase them around if they start running they probably won’t stop for a few miles. Good set of binos on a tripod will help spot them. Follow fatcamps rules and you will kill one good luck

wjj605

FNG
Hey KurtR and Fatcamp, here is my follow-up post to all the advice you gave me..... I was lucky enough to punch my tag on opening morning!! Thanks again!!

OP
L

Lowe43

FNG
My buddy and I both did well on the hunt I chased a monster for 4 days ended up settling for a decent 3 point he got a nice 4 point

OP
L

Lowe43

FNG
We both did well on the hunt we saw some real nice bucks couldn't close the distance. I shot a old heavy 3 point my buddy got a nice 4x5