SD goats enticed my soul

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
We did an overnight camping trip in South Dakota this passed summer on Black Elk Peak. Right as we finished putting camp together we looked up on the cliff beside us and there stood two goats watching us. They ended up bedding and hanging out throughout the next morning. I had never seen one before then and while I watched them through my binos and took pics of them obsessively, it really sparked my interest into trying to hunt one. I live in NW Nebraska so being so close to SD i started looking into what the process was to get a tag. Unfortunately, South Dakota doesn't look to be much of an option for Mountain Goat. What state comes highly recommended for Mountain Goat? Colorado seems to be a popular one and its not to far of a drive from where I'm at. I'd like to have an either sex tag and i'm not dead set on a particular weapon choice either. Thanks for any info, much appreciated!

Pwells10

WKR
Honestly Idaho in my mind would be your best bet. Or Wyoming. Can't speak for Colorado, but I'd imagine its a point race for them. Both random draw. Everyone putting in will have the same chance to draw.

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
You have to be a resident of SD to even apply for it. And then it's also a once in a lifetime tag when you draw it

Realistically, if you just want to "play the game", apply in Idaho and/or (maybe) Wyoming. If you actually want to hunt one, you ought to look towards Alaska. You'll either need to move there, hire a guide, have a second degree of kinship relative move there, or (the strategy I've joked of opting for) find someone that lives there that is willing to marry you (man or woman, its a mountain goat hunt afterall!).

Another option would be to see if you can accompany someone who has a tag. These are truly "group effort" type hunts - being the trigger man is very little compared to the experience of being along.

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
You have to be a resident of SD to even apply for it. And then it's also a once in a lifetime tag when you draw it
I was afraid of that after watching the goats for a few minutes then realizing that i had never really seen or heard of anybody killing one in SD like i have for other states. It then clicked with me that a SD mtn goat tag might be the same for elk tags in Nebraska. Tis true. Super cool to see them there though and i hope that if you are ever able to get your hands on a tag that it results in an exciting hunt and a great goat for you!

npm352

WKR
You are late getting into draws, but in some ways, most everyone is late. Tough odds, but it can happen. They are a hell of a hunt.