Sd Mule deer public land

Remi1

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for input on sd mule deer archery only... Pros/cons etc..I live in mn. I Go to mt every year thought I'd try sd this year!! Anybody need a a mule deer hunting buddy??

Remi1,

I am in the same shoes as you. From and living in MN. I have never hunted West River for deer, I was thinking this year would be the year to change that...

Trial153

WKR
I have bowhunted SD a couple of times. What are you looking for specifically?

KurtR

WKR
First thing i would look at is where and what this winter has done to the deer. I was out shed hunting and found some dead ones around here and i know it was even tougher farther out west. there are some good deer here but dont come expecting a real out west type of hunt as there is not place to really get away from people any more.

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Had a few friends from WI that went to NW SD turkey hunting this past weekend, and they both tagged on the first day, BLM land. If the winterkill was light enough that the birds are that abundant, I'd think the deer should have gotten through it pretty well also. I'm trying to head that way for antelope or mule deer this fall too.

KurtR

WKR
Found a few dead ones this weekend i was hoping they would make it through the winter. Do you plan on bringing a camper or staying in a motel. As most public land here does not allow over night camping. The sd gfp page has a good map of all the state walk in land out there also.

OP
R

Remi1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a camper i tote around.. used it as base camp in mt

KurtR

WKR
If its me i am looking more Sw than NW for the mule deer was just out more sw part of the state and deer numbers looked pretty dang good

NYSKIER

WKR
I have also been looking into a south dakota archery muley hunt. If I were to go last week of October about a week after the close of firearm antelope season would the deer still be feeling the pressure? Also whats the prerut time frame for mulies in south dakota?

Big6810

FNG
I was out in sd in April for a turkey hunt. Saw lots of both whitetails and muleys out in the SW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk