SE Alaska archery

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
I’m heading to south east Alaska to hunt Blacktails in mid-November. My hunting buddy will have a rifle and I’ll have a bow. If anyone has any suggestions on archery tactics I’d love to hear them. I’m new to hunting Blacktails with a bow. I’m really stoked on this trip. Thanks!

AKducks

FNG
I grew up hunting around Juneau (never with a bow though). I think your best bet is doing a lot of calling. Finding open spots (Muskegs and open woods) three long (2-6 seconds) Fawn Bleets and sit 10 minutes then do it again, sit another 10-20 minutes then move to the next stop.

Hope that helps.

I've rattled in bucks on Kodiak before and shot them at real close range. Not sure why it wouldn't work in SE, but I've never tried it there. Only used a can call bleat like you'd use for whitetails, it called in a buck to about 25 yards and I shot him. Also used the loud squealing bleat call, that one worked too. On Kodiak, I've just used my mouth to make vocalizations and it's worked, never tried a commercial style call there.

Sleorna

Lil-Rokslider
Like mentioned above, calling in muskegs can be effective. I spent a few years working for forestry on Prince of Wales and in down time would call to see what I could get to come in. Also grew up in Western Washington and did a lot of archery blacktail. Still hunting with moderate to minimal calling is my tactic. 30min or so in open or prime looking areas, and very slow, stealthy walks between spots. Always nocked and locked. Most deer I've shot have been slowly and quietly walking between spots always being ready. Hope that helps, good luck!

gbflyer

WKR
Not blacktail but I tell ya what...it’s too bad that bow fishing is against the rules here because that would be awesome!

SteveOtt

FNG
I’ve had similar experience, Sleorna. Slow, careful movement and staying alert. Seems like only a few Second window to make it happen before they disappear into the Tongass.

rattle bag worked once for me, sitting on the edge of a muskeg.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on where you are in SE AK, mid nov is right when they breed or right after. Some bucks will still be cruising after they bred the first doe they paired with.

at that point, I usually am using a doe bleat. Most buck encounters for me will happen by calling in a doe with a buck following. If you call in a doe that keeps looking in a certain direction, good chance she is looking at a buck. Sometimes you will get a lone buck to show up too.

Last edited:
I’m heading to south east Alaska to hunt Blacktails in mid-November. My hunting buddy will have a rifle and I’ll have a bow. If anyone has any suggestions on archery tactics I’d love to hear them. I’m new to hunting Blacktails with a bow. I’m really stoked on this trip. Thanks!

How was the hunt? I never got on a buck when I was in Juneau, its a goal to get back down from Fairbanks to get one.

OP
Sam's dad

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
I had a good hunt but the weather didn’t cooperate and the deer weren’t out for much of the week. I missed one with my bow and my hunting partner killed two with his rifle. That was it for our group of four for the week.
It’s a fun hunt though and the country is really neat. We saw a lot of animals, bears, sea lions, sea otters, a whale, etc. I love Alaska.

I had a good hunt but the weather didn’t cooperate and the deer weren’t out for much of the week. I missed one with my bow and my hunting partner killed two with his rifle. That was it for our group of four for the week.
It’s a fun hunt though and the country is really neat. We saw a lot of animals, bears, sea lions, sea otters, a whale, etc. I love Alaska.

I want to get back to SE Alaska to get a nice little Buck. I got a doe on one trip, saw a couple bucks that moved before I could get setup. Mostly didn’t have a boat and spent a lot of time hiking on the mainland around Juneau seeing NO deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer to hunt the old growth timber. It’s easy to find well used game trails. I will walk until I find a spot that gives me 50 plus yards of view. I will sit and call for 20-30 minutes. Get up and repeat. Always get up slow and look around before you start moving. I have taken more mature deer in the timber then anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk