SE Alaska archery

Sam's dad

I’m heading to south east Alaska to hunt Blacktails in mid-November. My hunting buddy will have a rifle and I’ll have a bow. If anyone has any suggestions on archery tactics I’d love to hear them. I’m new to hunting Blacktails with a bow. I’m really stoked on this trip. Thanks!

AKducks

I grew up hunting around Juneau (never with a bow though). I think your best bet is doing a lot of calling. Finding open spots (Muskegs and open woods) three long (2-6 seconds) Fawn Bleets and sit 10 minutes then do it again, sit another 10-20 minutes then move to the next stop.

Hope that helps.

Nick Muche

Calling. Find a spot you'd think a deer would like to be anyhow, call from there. Sign is important. Best of luck!

Nick Muche

I've rattled in bucks on Kodiak before and shot them at real close range. Not sure why it wouldn't work in SE, but I've never tried it there. Only used a can call bleat like you'd use for whitetails, it called in a buck to about 25 yards and I shot him. Also used the loud squealing bleat call, that one worked too. On Kodiak, I've just used my mouth to make vocalizations and it's worked, never tried a commercial style call there.