SE Alaska Blacktail

ColtDaMan

FNG
Moving to Cordova for a Summer Job with Fish and Game for the next 3months. Was going back and forth if I wanted to try to squeeze in hunt in and figured "Hey if I am getting the opportunity to live in Alaska might as well make (and spend$) the most of it.

Being the only hunter I know, figure I'd look here and see if anyone was also looking to make last minute decisions going to hunt Alaska Unit 6D PWS. I am looking at Hawkins, Hitchinbrook, and Montague Islands. Drop off Camp Late August Early September. If you had your hunting partner or group cancel on you and were thinking, outfitter, float plane, cabins, DIY, whatever and needed another guy that makes rash decisions(and splits cost) I am the guy. I am just looking at making the most of the experience I am blessed at having.

If anyone has any gear recommendations or advice from their first SE experience that would be extremely helpful. I have been browsing a lot of threads and trying to soak information.

BTW another selling point is I will be around game biologists and locals a decent amount of time I should be able to gather a good amount information, I just don't think Alaska is something you try to tackle alone hunting wise.

Thanks for reading my incoherent rant. Have a good one and thanks in advance if you have any advice.

gbflyer

WKR
Southeasterner here, only been to Cordova once for a brief fuel stop at the municipal airport. It’s a cool place, coastal SE Alaska fishing town without cruise ships and hoards of tour-ons. Thought about relocating there on many occasions.

Get ready to be wet, but I’m sure you’re up with all that. Eventually you tire from rain gear that either soaks you from the outside or the inside and avoid it whenever possible. Take the pain, haha.

Welcome to Alaska.

OP
C

ColtDaMan

FNG
Thank you guys for the support. I'm also not ruling out Kodiak Island, just trying to find someone to go. I'm hoping I can make a friend while I am there but I think if I am not bringing a Black Bear, Black Tail, or big ole Salmon and some measurements back from the trip I am wasting the oppertunity haha.

Yes I am definitely ready to embrace the suck that is constant wetness

bmrfish

WKR
Don’t know about hunting but there is great silver fishing in late summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just moved here (Anchorage) and looking to hunt PWS also. Not sure I'd be able to make it out to Montague as from what I've heard it's a rather pricey boat ride out if Whittier. 3hours 90ish miles.

PWS is feast or famine for deer, if you’re hunting there, id wait until later in the year when the deer are concentrated more toward the coasts. Kodiak is infested with the deer, spent some time in the high alpine and seen tons of deer, did the same in PWS and seen a less than a handful. I hope the winter wasn’t to bad on them