SE Alaska self-guided fishing lodge, need some help

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
I live a little ways from Warner’s, maybe 10 miles. I’ve been here for 26 years. Also guided fishing here for 12 years. Warner’s is a factory. If that’s the scene you want, then it’s fine. Lots of people, bunkhouse style accommodations and buffet line food. Their local reputation ain’t great but that’s really not a shock. This area is a much better halibut area than salmon (at least the kind you want to take home). Don’t spend money taking home pink and chum salmon, and they will load you up on it if you let them. Expensive cat food. It’s Inside water which means no ocean swell. It can still get pretty rough and Warner’s dock is totally exposed to SW winds.

Waters Edge in Elfin Cove is owned by Warner’s daughter and son-in-law or vice versa. It is ocean fishing. I’m about 20 miles from there too. The salmon fishing historically is better out there. Halibut is good. There used to be more variety but rules change all the time. This year there was no retention of yellow eye, and I think the ling cod rules are weird to. It’s ocean swell, and I assure you someone in your 4-some will get sick. Happens every time.

Both are LDS. I don’t find them to be anything other than good folks but some people have a problem with them. Don’t be shocked if some of their material is lying around.

It’s a good area. Hope you check it out. Hard to beat self guided if that’s your bag. The limits that have been placed on charter fishing make it a lot more attractive to folks who expect to take a lot of fish home.

Great info GB. Thank you. After talking with my folks last night, we checked off Doc Warners. It's much more of a hardcore fishing setup, and we want something smaller and more sedate. Elfin Cove was booked for when we want to go, so moving on. Big Salmon out of Sitka, we crossed off due to the open water fishing. Fine for us, not good for my parents.

My folks really like Sea Otter Sound Lodge. Sea Otter has some ocean side fishing, but it looks like we can fish protected most of the time and only sneak out for halibut. Some swells will be fine.

I'm checking out the other suggestions. There are a lot of them.

Jeremy

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
Clover pass lodge in Ketchikan.Or chinookshorelodge Ketchikan or Knudsen cove. Also, in Ketchikan. Green rocks lodge and Rocky of lodge in Petersburg might fit the bill too.
I've been to Clover pass a dozen times, it is a great operation that should be able to accommodate you and your parents nicely. you should book a combo trip with one day guided and a couple self guided in the yellow boats (thunder jets).

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
Well, it turns out you need to book 2 years in advance to get in with the best outfits. 90% of their clients book the day they leave for the next year. I knew this in the back of my mind, but hoped anyway. After many years, I finally got my parents to commit so, I had to get it done for 2021.

I think I've made nearly 50 phone calls, and sent at least 20 emails. We snagged a spot in Coffman Cove with a small outfit called the Bear's Den. I talked with several folks that have been going there for 10 years plus. It fit what we wanted. Simple, no hype, no pressure, and good reviews from clients. A rare upside of Covid is uncertainty and they had a couple of weeks open that they normally don't. So, we'll be up there late July for some fishing and fun.

Thanks to everyone that made suggestions. I got several good ideas for future trips that my wife and I will make. Their a little more adventure than my parents can handle, but great for us.

Jeremy