SE Alaska Sitka Blacktail DIY

Crowmag14

FNG
A buddy of mine wants to go to SE this summer in early August to chase Sitka Blacktail. Have a puddle jumper drop us off for a week on a large island and try our luck. Looking for advice and tips from others who have made such a trip.

david_227

FNG
I sent you a PM - I did this hunt last year. It’s a pretty tough hunt in the alpine but defiantly do able. Lots of rain and mosquitoes.

Felix40

WKR
I did a hunt in POW island a couple years ago. Killed a decent buck. Some things I wish I had done better and some things I did well.

Have a bunch of backup locations to get dropped off. I wanted to hunt the alpine but weather did not allow a plane to any of the lakes I had picked for that. The ceiling was like 500ft so we ended up in a random spot.

Bring rubber rain pants. It rained about 15 hours out of every day I was there and the kuiu chugach totally wetted through from wet brush and falling down in the mud.

No reason to bring big binos and a tripod in my opinion.

I think a hammock would actually be a dang good system if you could figure out how to have a stove too. Its pretty hard to find spots to camp without standing water.

I did not have any trouble with mosquitos at all. There were some black flies.

It would be worth planning a day of fishing from a boat. You can rent the boat and diy or get a guide but the people who were fishing said they all had a great time.

I flew with family air out of ketchikan. Dave is a good guy and they have a freezer you can use to freeze your meat for the flight home.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Did this on Kodiak Island about 10 years ago. Flew to Kodiak City, had a transporter fly us out to a government use cabin that we rented, and hunted 6 days. We went in late November. I'd go a little earlier if I were to do it again, but we all shot bucks and had one heck of a good trip!

OP
C

Crowmag14

FNG
I did a hunt in POW island a couple years ago. Killed a decent buck. Some things I wish I had done better and some things I did well.

Have a bunch of backup locations to get dropped off. I wanted to hunt the alpine but weather did not allow a plane to any of the lakes I had picked for that. The ceiling was like 500ft so we ended up in a random spot.

Bring rubber rain pants. It rained about 15 hours out of every day I was there and the kuiu chugach totally wetted through from wet brush and falling down in the mud.

No reason to bring big binos and a tripod in my opinion.

I think a hammock would actually be a dang good system if you could figure out how to have a stove too. Its pretty hard to find spots to camp without standing water.

I did not have any trouble with mosquitos at all. There were some black flies.

It would be worth planning a day of fishing from a boat. You can rent the boat and diy or get a guide but the people who were fishing said they all had a great time.

I flew with family air out of ketchikan. Dave is a good guy and they have a freezer you can use to freeze your meat for the flight home.
I need to research the island that we are going to more and see if there is a fishing option for sure. Thank you for the info.

Felix40

WKR
August 14th. The season opened on aug 15th on national forest that year. I think we did 8 days on the island and one in town to dry out.

Beendare

WKR
Depends on the island.

The logistics getting into a decent spot is usually the toughest part.

Good rain gear- check!

A sturdy light weight tent that will take strong winds- check!

I like that early Aug time frame as those Sitka blacktail stick out like a turd in a punchbowl, still in their summer coats. The wind can be a little frustrating, but when it dies down and the hoards of bugs pop up out of that tundra....you will start chanting , "Wind, Wind". /grin

FYI, Typically those bucks aren't done growing until the second or third week of Aug.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
consider hunting a unit with OTC black bear and delaying your trip or hunting through the beginning of September. That way you can do a bear/deer combo (i.e. Aug. 24th-Sept. 3rd). You can use that bear tag on a deer if you please and only lose out the $150 face value difference. Just a thought, I've bought a tag for bear to hunt in the spring (not filled the tag) then used that same bear tag on a deer in the fall.

Chugaglug

FNG
We've done a few trips to POW and Petersburg for spring and fall bears, blacktails and just fishing. There are a couple great places in Thorne Bay and one in Coffman Cove that will rent you a cabin, skiff, truck package which is awesome to be able to add fishing/crabbing/shrimping to the mix. We've also rented a vehicle from Hollis Rentals and stayed with Don Busse in Klawock which was awesome as well. I would stick with your plan of going early season. Going mid season to mix in fall bear and bucks has never worked well for us. The Sitkas are in transition range and harder to find and you end up having too many eggs in one basket. So we think early season alpine or early November are best bets for bucks. November is awesome if you like to rattle/call bucks. Be prepared to spike out in the alpine (for early season) and know that the vegetation and terrain in SE is extreme to put it lightly. Its pretty easy to look at google earth or onx and find where the bucks will be but getting to some locations can be very difficult if not dangerous. Good lucks sitkas are awesome

Bighorse

WKR
Go in prepared for weather and hope for clear conditions. The mountains are rugged and you'll get worked over canvasing the terrain. Early morning and late evening is the early season game. Be prepared to completely bone out all of your deer and meet the legal requirements of harvest. If you shoot a genuine mature buck it will be heavy and painful to haul. Get your game meat to camp and keep it cool and visible so that you can protect it should a bear decide it's his. Travel carefully making sure to establish your routes and be oriented as your move about the mountain. 300yrd shots are common in early season when you have the vertical advantage. Mature Sitka Deer are very wary! They are watching for any movement being prey species of wolf and bear. Pick any good lake at 1,000 to 1,500ft and climb up to the 2,500+ level and start hunting!

Hey Rokslide-

My first post, found while researching for my first deer hunt which will be near Sitka on Baranof Island. Taking a float plane in to one of the higher elevation lakes with a buddy that has hunted there before. I'm well aware of the treacherous terrain, gear required, etc., but any additional information experienced hunters can share would be much appreciated.

Tight lines,
Jason in Dallas