SE Idaho deer...not going well...

mossyhorn

FNG
SE Idaho deer...not going well...Update!

The weather down here has been rough! High winds, heavy rains...there have been some breaks, but tough conditions. Now it's snowing with High winds predicted tomorrow.

This is my first time hunting Idaho and been in the deep creeks, seeing only a few deer, a couple really small bucks. Hiking away from roads as best as I can and sitting behind the binos and spotter. Can't turn much of anything up.

Is this the norm for SE Idaho? Or do I need to head to another area?

Last edited:

Dcrafton

WKR
Unit 76 on the northeast area has good amounts of deer, the weather can make things tough though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weather in central idaho has been horrible also.
However, have seen lots of bucks and the rut seems to have started. Every group of does has had a buck or bucks with them. No real shooters although several have been thinkers.

Randy

novcie870

WKR
Weather in central idaho has been horrible also.
However, have seen lots of bucks and the rut seems to have started. Every group of does has had a buck or bucks with them. No real shooters although several have been thinkers.

Randy

Agree! The buck I shot on Saturday, was rutty and hanging with a group of does.

OP
M

mossyhorn

FNG
Weather was much better today. One of my partners shot a smaller 3x3. Was with 5 does. I got on a bigger 3x3 but shot was too far and tried stalking closer but lost him in the brush. When the wind calmed down, the deer finally started moving.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
Brutal weather the last few days in unit 75 (rain/wind, then a lot of heavy wet snow, then temps in the teens, and then a big melt off!)

I decided to come out to dry out & warm up. The weather looks better for Thur-Sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

mossyhorn

FNG
Was successful in killing a buck today. Can't figure out how to post pics from my phone. Shot a small 4x4 in an aspen grove tonight.

OP
M

mossyhorn

FNG
Finding bucks was very hard. They were holding tight in the thick aspen and buckbrush thickets. With day 6 coming to an end and only one day left to hunt, I spotted a deer on an aspen covered hillside at about 700 yards. We saw some antler and moved in closer. After climbing an adjacent hillside we crawled the last little bit to 313 yards. It took only a short bit to relocate him and I began getting prepared for the shot. The buck stepped out broadside and I took a couple big breathes to settle in and squeezed the trigger. The buck jumped and hit the ground running. Before I could get back on him, he was down. The shot took off the top of his heart.

I couldn't be happier to have filled my tag and put some meat in the freezer.