SE Kansas Spring Turkey?

I have a chance to hunt SE Kansas spring turkey for the first time. I see the season is April 14-end of May.

when would you recommend going? Earlier works better for me. Will the gobblers be calling well in April? Also any other advice is welcome.

Jbehredt

WKR
If on public I prefer earlier. They seem to wise up to calling and decoys pretty quick, especially after the guns show up. Private I haven’t seen much difference. Turkeys are turkeys, basically, almost completely unpredictable;)

OP
wildwilderness
I will be hunting on private- looking at a new deer lease for the fall so will be out to set up stands etc in the spring and heard here are a bunch of turkeys in the area

AARONB

FNG
Go whenever it's convenient for you. If turkeys are in the area, timing is not too important especially on private ground. The following are general observations for you to consider. Shrubs and trees are not completely leafed out early in the season compared to later, so you calls will travel further. Ticks are typically worse later in the season. Some years we have cold weather into late March and early April that can keep the birds flocked up at the start of the season. The majority of turkeys are killed the first 2 week of the season, because that's when most people hunt them.