SE Montana Mule Deer first timer

Hey guys,

me and a buddy are going to be putting in for a general deer tag in Montana next season. Assuming we draw, what kind of pointers would you guys offer? Not looking for hunting spots at all - just things we should know before we go... what to expect for weather, hunting pressure, tactics, and anything else we should know.

Time frame would be around mid November but we’re flexible on this. Plan on at least one scouting trip in July maybe. Area probably around Broadus, but we’re not married to that depending on escouting and what we see when we actually scout the unit.

I am aware of the gumbo.

Thanks in advance.

Mt Al

WKR
Not trying to be a downer on hunting pressure, but near Broadus in the middle of November every accessible public land spot will have a truck or ten parked where a bunch were parked the day before. It's on the map for good people from all over the midwest, easiest for them to get to from their home states given it's location in Eastern MT. Just the way it is. You can certainly find a place with deer, but expect others to be there too. As always, the farther off the road you go the fewer people.

Strongly recommend getting on the walk in only block management program early.

Weather can be 60s or buried in snow, stupid cold. Just bring clothes for all those conditions and you'll be fine.

Coming in July is a great idea, you can smoke a bunch of prairie dogs and try for coyotes while scouting.

WCB

WKR
Very Very Very popular area. You will see deer. Hunted down there the week before Thanksgiving and have found places to get away from people. Definitely walk and the rougher the better. Could be t-shirt weather or below zero. As long as it doesn't rain shouldn't have any problems. Plan to see a crap ton of 3x3 and 3x4s.

Depending on exactly where you plan to hunt you could be in broken type ground with patchy trees/brush or in timber. don't count out whitetails either. I've seen some nice whitetails come out of that area.

IMO in that area the earlier in the season you go the better luck you'll have. Later in the season those deer have been hunted hard for almost three months by then, they are very skittish at the point. That's not even including the hunting pressure you'll run into over there. Find good Block Management areas and work the walk in only areas. Block Management maps for the entire state are free and can be found on the Montana Fish and Game site. Don't leave home without them!

OP
J
IMO in that area the earlier in the season you go the better luck you'll have. Later in the season those deer have been hunted hard for almost three months by then, they are very skittish at the point. That's not even including the hunting pressure you'll run into over there. Find good Block Management areas and work the walk in only areas. Block Management maps for the entire state are free and can be found on the Montana Fish and Game site. Don't leave home without them!

this was another attractive thing about Montana in general - the BMA program has so many opportunities. I’ll definitely be looking into the walk in only areas. I take it the greater majority are all road hunters?

this was another attractive thing about Montana in general - the BMA program has so many opportunities. I’ll definitely be looking into the walk in only areas. I take it the greater majority are all road hunters?

BMA's can be great. I would say on the public a lot of guys will use their vehicles to hit several glassing spots near roads so they can get eyes on more country faster. It's actually not a bad strategy during the rut, although many look down on "road hunting", the bucks are moving so the more country/doe groups you can get your eyes on, the better. You'll see guys off the roads too, there's not a ton of spots that you can get a long ways from a road in the Custer. You'll see lots of deer, don't waste multiple days sitting on the same doe group or two with only forkies and 3 points thinking there's gotta be a big one nearby, there will be lots of groups like that. Mix it up, cover ground however you choose, first light till dark, have realistic expectations and you will have a good time. JMHO.

Completely agree with this. Use the roads and your vehicle to your advantage so you can cover more country. Don't live in it tho. Find terrain that will allow you to find good glassing points and work those areas. If your not seeing game move on. It won't take you long to figure it out once your in the mix.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said, it will be crowded, both on the roads and in areas that require a lot of walking. And, many of those areas wayback in just don't hold the deer that the areas closer to the road hold. And weather can vary greatly, but will usually be on the cool/cold side by mid November. I'm not sure what a July scouting trip will yield beyond learning the road systems. I'd consider saving it and adding it to the length of the hunt.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

OP
J
Nix the scouting trip and go bow hunt for a week, by gun season you will have it all figured out.
The scouting trip was going to be more of a “get a lay of the land” style trip vs. actual scouting/picking out animals/etc.

I do appreciate everyone’s input. Thank you all

Rusty85

WKR
Like most have said region 7 especially around Broadus gets hit very hard with out of state hunters. Ive antelope hunted in region 7 over the years with lots of success and have seen a few good deer over the years. If it was me I’d drive I few more hours north or west.
I will say from what I’ve seen that area, people like to stay within sight of their trucks, so good optics and boots will be your friend.

Not trying to hijack this post I was actually coming to post on here to ask a couple questions. If someone would be willing to pm me I have a couple questions myself. Thank you!

wesley

FNG
We hunted this area in mid November a few years back and saw lots of deer on private, had better luck hunting north a bit.

As mentioned above, try to lock something up as the population doubles in November in that area. It has become VERY popular.