SE Wisconsin

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
So I am looking at a potential job offer just outside Racine. Been doing my due diligence, but would love to hear from any of you guys with knowledge of the area. What cities are nicer than others for people/schools/residence? From what I can find online the hunting is more up north, being from Oregon it will definitely be a different ball game but I am always up for a new challenge.

Conroy

WKR
I live in northern Racine County, the town of Wind Lake. I am part of the Waterford school district, and I know it is a good system. There are a number of good towns in the county. I am not a big fan of the city of Racine itself. As for the hunting, there is plenty of public land around if you don't mind hiking in a ways to get away from people. Private land is usually already being hunted by brothers and cousins.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I now live in southern cal. but go back to wis. every year for grouse, pheasant and deer. My nephew lives in Franksville which is real close to Racine. There is some hunting around that area as long as you know someone. We hunt up in Sawyer county, in the NW section of Wis. We always stop on our trip up and pheasant hunt at a club called Woods and Meadows near wardens Wis. It's as close to public land hunting as you can get with the exception of more birds. As a matter of fact, I just heard from my nephew and he is at Woods and Meadows right now.

OP
B

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys for the comments. I will have to look at winds lakes, my wife saw a house she liked in Franklin and I found one in Burlington but the sad part is without stepping foot in the state yet I have no clue what the feel of any of the towns are. Hopefully I will be flying out later this month to check some places out. I actually prefer to not be in a big city but want to be within 30 min drive of a town called Sturtevent.

Got kids? How old? Franklin is nice, but taxes are a lot, would be worth it if you had kids going to their school system, which is excellent.

I used to live in Caledonia, near Franksville, both of which are in Racine. Caledonia is nice, has some rural areas near farms, some hunting opportunities there. Just to the north is Oak Creek, an up and coming suburb of Milwaukee, good schools too. Wind point is nice too, a little close to the city of Racine for me, known for low income areas and more crime.

If it were me, I'd stay away from the city of Racine for sure, and look west of interstate 94, a lot more open country. Union Grove, Burlington, all the way out to East Troy and Mukwonago is good, with more hunting areas, lower taxes and less crime.

I'd look towards Burlington, East Troy and Mukwonago. Good communities and decent schools. Birds and whitetails can be found on plenty of public land. Wisconsin offers much in the way of outdoors stuff.

OP
B

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
I do have a son about to turn 10. So he is about to start hunting, as long as I can keep him off the computer. Really I am comfortable traveling for hunting as im used to a 5 hour trip across Oregon. Mostly trying to keep the wife and kid happy with a nice city and good schools. Im crossing my fingers that I come out ahead in the buying and selling of houses that maybe I could buy a "small" piece of property somewhere for hunting.