Sea to Summit Ether Light XT Xtreme

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Going to pull the trigger on one this week based on all the positive feedback I have read in my research. Yes--I realize it is heavy. I am a 6'7" 260lb side sleeper--so I need it. Willing to sacrifice ounces for hours.

Does anyone have any negative feedback?

I weigh about as much as you. Nothing but good things to say about my regular ether lite. I haven’t really used any other pad since I bought it.

Drenalin

WKR
I thought it was comfortable, but not a warm pad (I’m a quilt user). That was a deal breaker for me. The Thermarest XTherm, to me, is as comfortable but a lot warmer.

I own an xTherm Max Regular, Ether Light XT Extreme Large, and a NeoAir XLite Wide

If you’re concerned about weight or space, the Ether Extreme is not the pad for you. I would never bring this on a sheep hunt or an extended backpack hunt. The amount of volume this pad takes up is absurd. I have to think about where this goes in my bag. The NeoAir I can stuff into small pockets bigger items make.

The Ether Extreme is the comfiest pad of the three though. Not by a large margin but its useful width and length is bigger compared to a similar sized NeoAir. The baffle design disperses weight so well. The addition of the insulation gives it a more normal mattress feel too which I quite like. Most of the time this pad stays at base camp.

It’s not as noisy as the NeoAirs but your buddies will still make fun of it.

Do I personally get more rest on the Ether Extreme? I don’t think so. Do I always enjoy sleeping on it though? Oh yeah bud.

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the regular ether lite. I had a really hard time finding a pad I thought was comfortable and after reading some reviews on here, I bought one.
I have tried the Big Agnes and the Neo Xlite and feel that the S2S is the best pad I’ve ever used. I am a side sleeper and use a quilt as well. I’ve never had a really good nights sleep in a tent before I bought this pad but now I sleep like a baby. I carried it on my NWT sheep hunt this year and felt like it was one of the better purchases I’ve made. Hope this helps.

Just another thought you might consider. I use the non extreme version and pair it with a 3/4 length thermarest z fold foam pad. The weight of the 2 comes in about the same as the extreme alone. And the R value of the 2 together should be comparable, with the added benefits of extra padding and the failsafe of a foam pad if you spring a leak. Only downside is possibly the bulk of the foam pad, but the extreme is so bulky its kind of a wash.

The pad is VERY comfortable…coming from a fellow big dude. Good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got the regular ether lite. I had a really hard time finding a pad I thought was comfortable and after reading some reviews on here, I bought one.
I have tried the Big Agnes and the Neo Xlite and feel that the S2S is the best pad I’ve ever used. I am a side sleeper and use a quilt as well. I’ve never had a really good nights sleep in a tent before I bought this pad but now I sleep like a baby. I carried it on my NWT sheep hunt this year and felt like it was one of the better purchases I’ve made. Hope this helps.

What size did you use? What temps and what rated bag?

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
I used the regular. I’m 5’9” 165 lbs. The temps dropped down into the low thirties a few nights. I used a 20 degree EE Quilt,

Drenalin

WKR
I thought it was comfortable, but not a warm pad (I’m a quilt user). That was a deal breaker for me. The Thermarest XTherm, to me, is as comfortable but a lot warmer.
I need to back this up...I missed that you were asking about the Xtreme. I've only used the regular Ether Lite, which is what I was referring to in my previous post. No experience with the Xtreme.

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the extreme knowing I would take a hit in the weight department. 12 nights on it and am glad to pack it. Coldest was 21 degrees and I was good in a 20° quilt with long johns on. First pad was a static V insulated.