Sea to Summit Sleeping Pads

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Who's tried Sea to Summit sleeping pads? I was looking for something thicker than my Thermarests which are all 2.5". I liked the look of the Ether Light XT Extreme Insulated pad which is 4" thick. Reviews seemed good so I ordered one and should have it Thursday. I'll let you guys know what I think.

Sea to Summit Ether Light XT

fatlander

WKR
The comfort plus is the most comfortable pad I’ve tried but it was twice as heavy as my neo air xlite. I haven’t slept on an ether light but I’ve slept one tent over from someone who has and it’s by far the loudest pad I’ve ever heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I have the insulated version and I is comfortable. It is noisy when I move around on it. But it is comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I have about 20 nights on my non insulated ether light. Haven’t used any of my other pads since I bought it. I am a heavy side sleeper and the 4 inches of cushion just works for me. I will probably get the insulated version too before my next winter trip.

I would say it is more noisy that my xtherm but not as noisy as my older neoair. Not enough noise to bother me.

ScottP

WKR
I have an xtherm. Ordered a Nemo tensor and the S2S ether light for my wife to test out. I also tried both.

the ether light is the most comfortable lightweight pad I’ve tried. I’m ordering one for myself. And will only use the x when it’s really cold.

I only sleep on my side, and I think the xtherm is more crinkly sounding than any of them.

RyanC

WKR
Following as I am trying to decide between the Nemo Tensor & Sea to Summit Ether Light XT

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm excited to try it.

I've heard people say the Xtherm is noisy too but it's never bothered me or anyone I hunt with. Seems like the more air you let out the worse it gets though so maybe the people who notice it more are letting more air out?

willidru

WKR
I had been using the thermarest x therm it’s really light and pretty comfortable, but noisy and I don’t love the tapper for fit.
I just spent the weekend backpacking using the sea to summit ether light xt insulated and it was a way better night sleep. I will be carrying the extra weight moving forward.

I really think you will enjoy the S2S sleeping pad.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I received the Ether Light XT yesterday and am excited to use it. I blew it up and laid on it in my office and it seems comfortable! It's pretty huge when packed up and weighs more than the Xtherm but it'll be worth it if my shoulders don't hurt and I can sleep better.

20210818_161900.jpg

CO-AJ

WKR
I run an Exped and love it. I think it is 3" maybe 3.5", R Value over 5, packs down to roughly the size of a Nalgene, and is quiet to sleep on. I sleep on my side often, but I have never felt my hip touching the ground. I am 5-10, 180lbs.

shudspeth

FNG
I’ve used the sea to summit comfort light for the last 3 years and didn’t love touching the ground with my hips and shoulders when you roll on your side. I picked up the Sea to Summit Ether light XT this year and my hips and shoulders don’t touch anymore which has really helped me sleep through the night. It’s plenty insulated down into the low 20’s with a 15 degree big Agnes bag. Don’t forget the Aeros pillow!

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I didn't see this thread until this morning...I went down a parallel path last week, ordered the exact same pad, and will get it this weekend (and the pillow). Thanks for the endorsements guys.

My path to the Ether Lite XT...I went with an Xtherm for a number of years up here (no complaints), but progressively after a several years it seemed not to hold air as well and then reached a point that I had to add air as part of climbing into my bag every night...and on two-week remote drop hunts with a down bag, that's too marginal for me. Checked it a couple of times for leaks back home, but could never find anything. My son thoughtfully bought me a Tensor for Christmas a couple years ago, which is comfortable and I like the easy inflate bag that comes with it. That said, he bought me the wide/long version which is a tight fit in my tent (and I'm only 5'10")...I also noticed this fall (year #2 with it) on a couple low temp (real hard freeze) nights that it maybe (for me) was getting close to pushing the limits of the R rating with a down bag...and I soooo like my WM Badger bag!

JPD350

WKR
I've had the Ether lite XT for the last 3 years and it was super comfortable, I sent it in because it was loosing air, it turned out to be an issue with the construction of it so they were going to warranty it for me no questions asked. The "Problem" was they hadn't received any shipments of them so they were out of stock, for 9 months I waited for a replacement and never got one. With hunts coming up this Sept I had to request them to send me the Extreme mat which they did, they also sent me some other goodies for my extreme patience and promised to send me the Ether Lite XT when they came in, we shall see if this happens, then I will have a winter and a summer mat. Regardless of the horribly long wait and not receiving the mat of my choice they have done me pretty good and if I get the other mat someday soon I will be floored in a good way.

With all that being said these mats in my opinion are very comfortable and easy to adjust for side sleepers, I have never owned a mat that tops it!

beejwest

FNG
Sad to hear! I love my ether light xt! Hoping I never pop it, but my last night in MT a week ago I woke up with my hip touching. 😮

JPD350

WKR
I've had the Ether lite XT for the last 3 years and it was super comfortable, I sent it in because it was loosing air, it turned out to be an issue with the construction of it so they were going to warranty it for me no questions asked. The "Problem" was they hadn't received any shipments of them so they were out of stock, for 9 months I waited for a replacement and never got one. With hunts coming up this Sept I had to request them to send me the Extreme mat which they did, they also sent me some other goodies for my extreme patience and promised to send me the Ether Lite XT when they came in, we shall see if this happens, then I will have a winter and a summer mat. Regardless of the horribly long wait and not receiving the mat of my choice they have done me pretty good and if I get the other mat someday soon I will be floored in a good way.

With all that being said these mats in my opinion are very comfortable and easy to adjust for side sleepers, I have never owned a mat that tops it!
Update, Sea to Summit came through and sent me the Ether Light XT, it showed up a couple days ago. All I can say is in the end STS made things right and took the customer service by the the horns.

I have an Exped Down 9 and insulated Nemo Tensor. I like both fine but the Exped is number 1. The S2S packs huge but good sleep is worth it.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
How did you like the S2S extreme after trying it out during season? In the market for a pad upgrade for backpack hunting and I use a 20 ugq quilt

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still really liking mine. I didn't do nearly as many backpack trips this year as normal but it's the most comfortable pad I've personally used. I never had it in cold temps so I can't say if it's warmer than my Xtherm pads or not.