Sea to summit UL dry bags?

Anyone use them yet? Seen these and was thinking of using then to organize my pack. The 2L is .8 ox which I thought was decent.....

Am I close to what a kifaru pull out might weight? Those of you that have one how ere they?

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I have one and really like it. I use it as my food bag/ bear bag. Thinking of getting another for my clothes and misc items instead of using a bunch of ziplocks etc all the time.

Ozz08

WKR
I just picked one up for my sleeping bag and pad. Seems like it will work just fine. Not as light as the granite gear uberlight dry sack but feels much more durable.

aron

WKR
I just picked up the STS eVAC dry sack which has the eVENT bottom on it for my sleeping bag. Do the above bags that are all sil nylon have any issues with creating moisture in the bag or do they allow for some air movement to keep things dry? That was my concern so I opted to go for the event bottom.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
@aron , I have both the S2S event dry/compression bag and the silnylon dry bag. I use the event one for my sleeping quilts, and the silnylon one as my food/bear bag. I have been using both for about three years now. I have not noticed any moisture build up inside either one. That being said I also dont put any damp clothing or items in them if i can help it. Event breathes, but silnylon does not. So if you were to put say a set of damp baselayers inside the silnylon dry bag, you would indeed have moisture buildup all on the inside. So the silnylon bag can be used kinda both ways, one way is to keep dry clothing/items dry, or you can put wet items in it to keep the moisture trapped inside the bag. As I mentioned I use the silnylon dry bag as my food bag, so that if i am in an area where i need to hang my food it can stay nice and dry when exposed to the weather.

Despite what anyone may claim, silnylon does not breath at all, or so minimally that it makes zero impact.

aron

WKR
@aron , I have both the S2S event dry/compression bag and the silnylon dry bag. I use the event one for my sleeping quilts, and the silnylon one as my food/bear bag. I have been using both for about three years now. I have not noticed any moisture build up inside either one. That being said I also dont put any damp clothing or items in them if i can help it. Event breathes, but silnylon does not. So if you were to put say a set of damp baselayers inside the silnylon dry bag, you would indeed have moisture buildup all on the inside. So the silnylon bag can be used kinda both ways, one way is to keep dry clothing/items dry, or you can put wet items in it to keep the moisture trapped inside the bag. As I mentioned I use the silnylon dry bag as my food bag, so that if i am in an area where i need to hang my food it can stay nice and dry when exposed to the weather.

Despite what anyone may claim, silnylon does not breath at all, or so minimally that it makes zero impact.

Thanks for the great info! I will stick with the event sack for my sleeping bag but I can see where the silnylon sacks have there benefits if not needing the breathing capability and save a couple bucks.

cmeier117

WKR
I have two of the bigger ones. They work well. I will say I have put a hole in one of them and for some reason they feel less durable than my Granite gear Uberlight bags which weigh even less.

S

Salmo-Priest

All my gear is stored in the STS eVent bags aron talked about! I use one size for my clothes which also makes a nice enough pillow. I use another size for my food, stove,fuel and spork and easily can be stored in a tree to keep the bears from tearing shitt up. I use another size for my sleeping bag. And I have the smaller size that holds my fire starter and emergency kit. They compress very well and i cold literally completely submerge my pack and all my gear is dry. The bags can also be used to haul water to camp. The larger bags eventually have boned and cooled meat in them for the pack out and blood will not escape and make a mess of the pack and other gear! In bear country boned out meat can leave a sweet trail straight from kill to camp and make for an exciting night! Trust me I know! :) From kill to camp or cooling area the STS eVent bag will breathe well yet keep blood from soaking your gear ,ass, legs, and feet. Love 'em!!

slim9300

WKR
I have two of the bigger ones. They work well. I will say I have put a hole in one of them and for some reason they feel less durable than my Granite gear Uberlight bags which weigh even less.

I was going to point out how tough my Granite Gear Uberlight bags have been for what they are. I have four 18L bags for pack organization and one 13L for my sleeping bag. Total weight for 85L of waterproof storage is 3.56 ounces. Other than the price that's pretty hard to beat.

If I wanted to use a drysack to keep clothes scent free until I need them would an event bag or a regular drysack be best?

slim9300

WKR
If I wanted to use a drysack to keep clothes scent free until I need them would an event bag or a regular drysack be best?

I don't think it matters but I will recommend those earth scented dryer sheets. They used to work for me when I worried about reducing my scent 'footprint.' :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Check these out. Probly the lightest on the market.

Cubens

Yep those are nice, but certainly not the most robust. I have some but baby them compared to the silnylon ones. If only doing a couple week long trips a year I'd say they are a good way to shave the weight. Otherwise Sea to Summit or OR silnylon bags are worth the extra weight and cheaper and last a bit longer......

MattB

WKR
I just picked up the STS eVAC dry sack which has the eVENT bottom on it for my sleeping bag. Do the above bags that are all sil nylon have any issues with creating moisture in the bag or do they allow for some air movement to keep things dry? That was my concern so I opted to go for the event bottom.

I do not have experience with putting wet stuff in either full sil-nylon or eVENT stuff sacks, but I do not think the eVENT will move much moisture. I believe the eVENT panel is to move air so you can compress the contents of the bag down.

Daniel_M

WKR
eVent as a technology in fabric is made to breathe allowing the movement of air and restrict water molecules.

I tested my StS bags with eVent bottoms. Put my down bag in and tie it underwater. A few air bubbles surfaced but not a single drop of water entered.

There not exactly made to be submerged, neither are the Silbags

That being said they need to stay clean and I recommend washing on occasion. I raft and float hunt regularly so items I require dry are not an option in my book.

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
Check these out. Probly the lightest on the market.

Cubens

I have one that came with my zpacks bag. They are nice and light but I like my dry sacks to have a stiff brim so to speak and the Velcro although seems to work makes me a little nervous for a waterproof bag. The Granite gear Uberlights are still lighter cannot comment on their durability yet but they have lasted for 6-7 outings so far with me cramming them in packs and what not.