Seam Sealing

I want to seal the seams on my shelter. The seams are taped but I can see where the tape is coming up in one corner. Right where the handle of the trekking pole supoorts it. Water was dripping on my forehead from that peak last September during a rain. I have never used seam sealer before. I bought the Gear Aid brand stuff with the brush applicator. Do I erect my shelter on a calm day and simply brush it on the outside seams? Or do I turn it inside out and seal over and around the tape?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RyanC

WKR
Here's another resource. I recently seam sealed my tent using this exact method. The mineral spirits thin the silicone and make for a much cleaner finished product.

DeePow

FNG
I grabbed the Six Moon Designs lunar solo and they have a solid Sean seal overview. Take your time to ensure you are thorough. Calm, sunny days are preferable

madgrad02

WKR
Quick question and couldn't find my exact answer... I picked up a megatarp clone off another hunting site (believe it was made by a forum member on here). Tent is seam sealed, but starting to flake and seemingly could use re-sealing. Do I need to remove a much of the old seam sealer as possible, or can I just reapply over existing? Additionally, is it just the inside that gets done, or do you both inside and outside? Thanks in advance.

GotDraw?

WKR
both sides, and best if you can put micro ridges in the silicone sealer for your sleeping pleasure...

Seriously though, I do both sides.

JL

Quick question and couldn't find my exact answer... I picked up a megatarp clone off another hunting site (believe it was made by a forum member on here). Tent is seam sealed, but starting to flake and seemingly could use re-sealing. Do I need to remove a much of the old seam sealer as possible, or can I just reapply over existing? Additionally, is it just the inside that gets done, or do you both inside and outside? Thanks in advance.
If it’s lifting, removing as much as you can without damaging the material will be the best option, just don’t over commit on removing the old sealant. I want to try aquaseal on a shelter I have in a non critical spot to see how it does, because it will certainly stick better than traditional seam sealant, I figure there is a reason why it’s not just what we use. Silicone sealant has a shelf life for shelter use, I want something that will hold up for the life of the shelter… probably stick to DCF personally, but traditional tent materials certainly have their place, I wouldn’t want a big DCF shelter because of the expense vs use ratio, but for my personal shelters, I always want DCF now, and the tape seems to be pretty permanent