Search and Rescue: Why don't you step up?

I was on a local Search and Rescue (SAR) team for about 5 years. I was amazed how few hunters were involved. The skills we utilize in the woods are all applicable to SAR. We are clue aware, practice navigation, preparedness, etc.
My hunting background made me better on the SAR team, and my SAR training made me a better hunter.

So my question, which is kind of also a suggestion, is why don't YOU get involved? Many areas have volunteer teams that will train you for free.

OP
Gunnersdad49
I would do it. I always just assumed (incorrectly it seems) that they wanted people with more technical experience than I have.
The teams here have an academy, and then ongoing training. It is also a great way to learn simple ropes and rigging that will help elsewhere in life, like building a mechanical advantage for hoisting critters to hang in a tree, etc.

MtGomer

WKR
I actually just looked into it here and found the most common rescues are people drowning in canals (I’m not a super strong swimmer) and falling in abandoned mine shafts. Not skilled in rappelling especially into holes filled with rattlesnakes.
Looking for people lost in the mountains would be more my thing and I have done that a few times. So far they are 0-2 on surviving, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Ratbeetle

WKR
The teams here have an academy, and then ongoing training. It is also a great way to learn simple ropes and rigging that will help elsewhere in life, like building a mechanical advantage for hoisting critters to hang in a tree, etc.

I need to look into it then. Would love to get involved and learn some rope skills.

IMG_0645.JPG
Its not all hoists from Blackhawks and hanging off a cliff - most of it is going out to walk someone off a 14er who is too tired to walk out on their own. In my experience, its easy to get jaded because most people are idiots but there are definitely times when a person had a legitimate accident and needs a lifesaving response.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
did for a few years. Unfortunately with the new job i wont be able to dedicate the time required for training and to go on alot of the more urgent missing person searches.

When i was active it was a great experience. My local volunteer team recently NASAR certified a team from mexico and it sounded like it was an awesome experience for all involved. Locally they offer CPR and wilderness first aid training free which as a hunter is huge. On top of that there are many classes every week dedicated bettering yourself in the search and rescue aspect.

"most of it is going out to walk someone off a 14er who is too tired to walk out on their own. In my experience, its easy to get jaded because most people are idiots but there are definitely times when a person had a legitimate accident and needs a lifesaving response. "

this is not a lie either, every year we posted up at the trailhead to a local hot springs. people would want ot hike to the hot springs in summer where its 110 outside thinking a shaded canyon was cooler. The ywould have A one SINGLE bottle of water for a 2+ mile hike plus the stay in a hot spring and the hike out. The hike itself was not a nice smooth trail but a cayon walk with small drops where ropes were placed to help you step up and out. On top of that lots of hikers who dont understand that the 10 mile hike at 3k feet and a 10 mile hike at 9k feet arent the same.

One of the best feelings I ever had was being part of a team that found an elderly gentlemen who was lost, not 300 yards from his front door, fell over and in the desert heat suffered from heat exhaustion. Although he did pass, we found him and were able to give him time to say goodbye to his whole family. It hurt like hell to hear the outcome but knowing we were able to give him a final goodbye was something that tugged some heart strings.

Ratbeetle

WKR

Any recommendations for teams on the front range?

Wow, Doing my best to be a good father.....run my business...do my part as a good citizen, etc, etc.....

And now you are calling me out for not being involved in S&R? Sheesh.

I'll tell you why; There are about 30 other things I think are more important that getting involved in this.

Being a good father = the most underrated job I can think of.

OP
Gunnersdad49
Wow, Doing my best to be a good father.....run my business...do my part as a good citizen, etc, etc.....

And now you are calling me out for not being involved in S&R? Sheesh.

Not calling out, Those things are plenty to keep a fella busy. I'm just prodding the membership here to consider it. It can be a lot of fun. If you can't volunteer, you can support the team in other ways. Help them put together a fundraiser or grant. Buy a "I support (insert your local team)" T-shirt, etc.

My intent here was to bring a bit of awareness I guess. We, collectively, talk a lot on here about hitting the SOS button and the SAR team coming to help. So I thought I'd see if we can help them any.

OP
Gunnersdad49
If you aren't sure where to start, check with the local sheriff's office. The Sheriff in Colorado is responsible for providing for wildland fire, search and rescue, and dive rescue. They typically partner with a volunteer team or fire department for most of those, but will point you in the right direction.

A couple more:

https://www.alpinerescueteam.org/membership/

http://www.scrg.org/how-to-join/

Randle

WKR
I have thought about . Even went to a couple meetings to get an idea of the whole process. Unffortunately my job doesn't lend well to taking off for this .