Search and Rescue: Why don't you step up?

Ratbeetle

WKR
I did Volunteer Search and Rescue for many years on the Colorado Front Range. Very great experiences and actually led to me getting paid to do it full time for many years after volunteering. I also highly recommend to anybody who loves the outdoors and wants to give back and meet some great people. You don't have to be a super athlete or pro rock climber to join most county SAR teams.

What organization did you volunteer with?

What organization did you volunteer with?
I volunteered for my County's (Gilpin) SAR team in the early - mid 2000's. It was a great way for me to get some emergency response experience and spend more time outdoors with like minded people. Like many folks here I just don't have consistent time off to volunteer anymore but those that do and have the interest definitely should.

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
If you need a hand with the other 5%, let me know. If I’ve got something laying around that will work, I’ll send it your way
Awesome! Thank you. Application deadline nearby is Monday and I'm not that ready so it may be a little if I go through with it.
I think climbing gear like harness and helmet is the type of stuff I dont have.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
i thought about it but the training requirement is too much. our local sar went from volunteer to paid only and the time commitment went up. if i were without family obligations then i'd be all into it. As it is, I'm with Wasatch Backcountry Rescue. I'm a full time Ski Patroller that can occasionally respond to backcountry emergencies, usually in the winter. Most rescues are simple trauma or medical that can be supported by air. Some require long drag, carry or ski out. We do less avalanche rescue but do have an occasional recovery that requires use of dogs.

I'm glad there are people who have the time and skills to affect a summer rescue.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I was involved in SAR for several years before I had a family. I really enjoyed it. The trainings were fun and the area familiarization outings/hikes exposed me to a bunch of country I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise. Definitely jumpstarted my backcountry skills.

GotDraw?

WKR
If you posted less, you could find the time ;-)
JL

Wow, Doing my best to be a good father.....run my business...do my part as a good citizen, etc, etc.....

And now you are calling me out for not being involved in S&R? Sheesh.

I'll tell you why; There are about 30 other things I think are more important that getting involved in this.

I did, part of the local Sheriff’s Department. I even got a badge. But 2 children later I felt my time was better suited to them than trying to find idiot strangers who never thought about being out in the backcountry. And don’t get me started on all of the Code 4 calls. Geesh.

Sled

WKR
I tried getting on the local SAR program as a volunteer, but I was told I didnt provide anything to the program.
ouch. summit county somewhere on the front range? some programs are good guys and some are pretty full of themselves. either way it's nice to have someone coming when you need help.

I spent several years in SAR service. As a rock climber and an emt, my skills were well placed. I started with ski patrol back in 1988. The local sheriff talked a few of us into helping out. Some of the most rewarding and some of the most heart breaking moments of my life happened on those missions. I worked with the high angle team and later learned swift water rescue.