Searching for Spotter. Request advice.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the search for a spotter and on limited budget. $500 or less.

I am primarily a Midwest whitetail hunter with occasional trip west. Elk to date but have a mule deer trip planned next year. My elk style of hunting never necessitated a spotter, but outfitter for muley recommends one (Eastern WY).

I will also use it at range.

Looking for suggestions/recommendations for something in this price range. FYI, I’m nearing the 70 year mark and don’t see value in investing in Swarovski or the like for 1-2 hunts.

Thanks in advance!

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
This seems like the ideal spot to rent a spotter. For $500 I bet you could rent an alpha spotter for a few weeks.
Absolutely this….. Very few people use spotting scopes much. Rent a Swarovski for your hunt, and send it back.

I have a Vanguard Endeavor HD 20-60x82 that I use for the range and for off the side of the road spotting and it’s pretty impressive for what I paid. I’ve compared it to a vortex razor and couldn’t tell the difference of it on targets at 200 yards.

Rent a Swaro for now. Buy a Swaro when you save the money. Or you can waste your money on products sold by a company named Vortex.

IMO, I’d rather have a nice set of 15x binos than a spotter. Obviously my opinion differs than many. Also fwiw, many mulies have been spotted and killed without Swaro spotters. If you have the coin, then why not? But since you’re on a budget, I’d look into the Vanguard. It’s heavy as hell, but I’m assuming that you’ll be riding horseback. If so, it’s a non issue.

There are a couple of the vanguard Ed scopes in the classifieds right now that what I would look at. I have one and love it for what it is and what it cost

Howdy there, I don't have any experience with the the Vanguard scope, so I won't offer any comment on that. However, I recently purchased, used and then sold (for not much less than I paid) was the Athlon Ares G2 15-45x65mm UHD......... I felt that was a pretty awesome scope for right around $500. IMO it was better than Vortex Viper, and pretty close to the Vortex Razor. I wanted premium glass, but I didn't have the $$$. I have since upgraded to the Kowa, but that is for a different thread. I think you could pick that scope up in the classifieds for $400-$500

Best of luck

This seems like the ideal spot to rent a spotter. For $500 I bet you could rent an alpha spotter for a few weeks.
Less, in fact! I rented a Kowa 883 from @Rent Outdoor Gear for 18 days for a hunt this year and it came to ~$300.

ETA: Just checked the receipt and it was $348.72 all in (shipping, taxes, mil discount, etc.)

Last edited: