Searching for West

C-bolt

FNG
That is really cool! I love the slow motion crystal clear camera work! Not really my favorite gear, but a cool video none the less.

Edit: Is this the same LuJon as AOD?

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I followed Mark on Outdoor Life a couple years ago. Truthfully it was rather boring! All show and no go. Hopefully this is better.

Does life-lock cover online identities????

Yes I believe it does. Why you ask. That's kinda weird?

Very funny. I thought talking to yourself was more a January-in-Alaska thing?

As far as the video, it seems like the natural progression of the Sitka film style. All natural beauty, macro shots, and artistic filming. I'd be willing to bet that the "kill shot" is minimized or not shown at all. Very different than the typical cable hunting show. Basically a celebration of the chase rather than the kill would be my take on it.

I like it, but if the whole film is slow motion, hero-against-elements footage, it might get a touch old. I'll be off hunting when it comes out, but will try and remember to watch it. If for no other reason than my son's middle name is West, and he was born just before sheep season. I can relate to that part. :)

Yk

I can't wait for this film to come out!!! Looks SUPER AWESOME! I love hunting films that actually get out on foot and spot and stalk thier pray! LOVE IT cant wait!

dotman

WKR
Hatd to tell if it will be any good, also I think the slow-mo is just in the trailerto draw us in. I have a feeling it will be similar to Meat-Eater. I'll keep an eye out but if it comes out between Sep-Dec i'll probably miss it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hatd to tell if it will be any good, also I think the slow-mo is just in the trailerto draw us in. I have a feeling it will be similar to Meat-Eater. I'll keep an eye out but if it comes out between Sep-Dec i'll probably miss it.

Yeah I'm not sure how the video will be. I kinda gotta chuckle at the trailer, walking a steep ridge for no reason "hunting" with the chopper swirlin' by to get the shot of him hiking. I'm sure it'd be entertaining no doubt, but likely over dramatized and hunting out of a truck and with a daypack and coming back to the truck every day isn't my style either....If someone was to buy the flick for me I'd probably check it out though.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think it looks pretty cool. Probably not an exact portrayal of a real hunt for all of the reasons mentioned, but what movie is real to those who have first hand experience. It's kind of like watching any movie that had a plane in it with my late grandfather who investigated plane crashes - he never enjoyed it because he spent the whole time telling you what was inaccurate about the film. I don't care who you are, Air Force One was a cool movie but he couldn't stand all of the "mistakes" in it.

It looks to be the kind of thing that might be done in a way that is appealing to more of the general public. If there is more of an artistic side that romanticizes the hunt I don't really care if it makes people appreciate our sport more. I'll be looking for the release, and thanks for the heads up.

Looks cool. You can tell Sitka is part of this from the first few seconds, they have enough slow mo shots of Sitka gear. I will check it out. It has to be better than a guy in a tree stand on private property shooting a buck that has been documented for years on some guys farm. I think after "Project Dropped" we will see a lot more of that type of show, which is a nice break from the norm.

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be willing to bet that the "kill shot" is minimized or not shown at all.

Yk

luke moffat said:
walking a steep ridge for no reason "hunting" with the chopper swirlin' by to get the shot of him hiking.

I'll give credit where credit is due, he can run the heck out of a camera and take badass pics, but ya gotta kill stuff to get kill footage. Hope it doesnt turn out to be "poser" stuff.........

dotman

WKR
Looks like a lot of time spent just on the "show" aspect and not actually hunting. Wonder how much time was spent filming the release of the arrow from all angles. Dang good cameraman to be able to be infront of the bow when the arrow is released at an animal, unless it is all for show why would even take a video shot of that?

OP
LuJon

LuJon

FNG
I am starting to get the feeling that this guy is somewhat not liked on this forum. I don't know what the deal is, this guy has all the right gear.... MYSTERY RANCH PACK, SITKA GEAR and LEICA optics are in a league of there own in my opinion.

hunting out of a truck and with a daypack and coming back to the truck every day isn't my style either....If someone was to buy the flick for me I'd probably check it out though.

I think you are missing part of the point of the film Luke. I haven't really followed Seacat's career, but I do know that he started at Mystery Ranch, and backpack hunting was supposed to be his thing. Part of the story in film seems to be that due to to the birth of his son "West" he is forced to make new choices. Of of those compromises is that he hunts close to home so he can be there for his family more than he normally would that time of year.

I can relate more than you can. Although I love the remote camp based hunts, and do them pretty much every year, family obligations have caused me to do a much larger portion of my hunting as "suicide run" type day hunts in the last few years. I've gotten pretty good at it. Counting on my fingers, my partners and I have killed 18+ moose and caribou in the last 6 years on our "day hunts". Sure, not my favored method either, but it's a balance that I have to strike as long as there are babies in the house.

Yk

PS oh yeah, and I think it's supposed to have an online release, so I assume it's free. At least that's the way I read the website. August 22, so I'll be sheep hunting.