Sears/Kenmore Sewing Machine?

Ghillie_55

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any insight on this sewing machine? My sister-in-law acquired this machine and asked if I had any interest in it.

Looks to be a heavy all metal machine with reverse. Think this will be good for small pouches made out of nylon or canvas?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Short answer, grab it if you want it, yes it'll sew what you need.

Its all metal so solid there. Is the motor off the back? Its my interpretation those ones don't have the same step down of speed (thus power ratio) as the ones where the motor is tucked below which have a 2 stage speed reduction. That said if this is free or such I'd certainly try it out, you can walk it by had through the thick stuff if needed. Look at my daypack thread, I'm using a kenmore for all that, just a slightly newer one than the one you have pictured there (mine is 70s).

If there is a cost involved here you might want to hold out and pick up a zig zag machine instead just for versatility. Machines of this vintage are cheap since many don't sew anymore or want computerized gizmos.

Jake, yep its a good solid machine. I have one that is similar. They are not as powerful as other Kenmores, but because of its locking reverse lever they are good machines where you need to use both hands for feeding fabric when doing back stitches or sewing the other side of a stitch backwards..... I do that a lot rather than flip the fabric all the way around.

If serviced correctly,.it should have plenty of power for most seamster's needs. But understand that when sewing multiple layers of heavy weight cordura, you may need to help it get started .... just turn the wheel by hand and give it a bit of help as you pedal into the stitch.

Proper cleaning, lubrication, and belt tensioning is key to extracting max power from these machines. (Hint: too much belt tension harms bearings and robs power. There's a happy medium.)

Anyway, easy machine to learn on. Grab it!
Manuals are easily found online.
Holler if you need any help or advice.
Hunt'nFish

kpk

WKR
I have a similar one also. Picked it for $10 if I remember right and it's more than paid for itself.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
But understand that when sewing multiple layers of heavy weight cordura, you may need to help it get started .... just turn the wheel by hand and give it a bit of help as you pedal into the stitch.

In my work so far I also find it definitely helps to start your stitch with the needle down into the fabric already (I presume that is just good practice in general), then by the time the machine needs to punch the next stitch its already gotten some momentum going internally from the needle upwards cycle.

WoodBow

WKR
In my work so far I also find it definitely helps to start your stitch with the needle down into the fabric already (I presume that is just good practice in general), then by the time the machine needs to punch the next stitch its already gotten some momentum going internally from the needle upwards cycle.

This should be standard procedure. That is how i was taught in home ec back in the day.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Theres a few on Craigslist here and one for $20 I almost pulled the trigger on, looks different though. Ended up finding a Singer 237 for $10 at a Goodwill, love it, was using a newer Singer all plastic and it sucked compared to the old heavy metal one, runs so smooth. I think you'll be happy with it, i've been going a little sew crazy too lately, have fun.

OP
Ghillie_55

Ghillie_55

Lil-Rokslider
Great! Thanks guys! I'll pick it up.

Rumor has it this machine was used by the previous house owner before he passed to sew all of the drapes and upholstery in their 3500 sq ft home! So I know is been used and well maintained. Didn't sit around much.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Tips that Hunt'nFish shared prior are if gummy kerosene works well to dissolve the crud, get some actual sewing machine oil to lube it up, and you can bump up the upper tension adjustment if needed (details in another thread).

Anyways, get it and inspect it/clean/lube as needed and then play around and see how it throws a thread through scrap materials. :)