Sears Ted Williams model 73 30.06

Button

WKR
Years ago I bought one for $125. Only have taken it to the range a couple times. Each time getting it to group was futile. Overall cosmetically I’d say it’s in good shape minus some blueing coming off the barrel where it looks like it’s been rested on a blind or truck window and the crown. It could be the cheap foggy scope causing the inaccuracy. I already have a good 30.06, im pondering rebarreling the model 73 to another caliber. From a quick google search it’s pretty much a Winchester model 70 (post 64’??). I would think finding a new barrel wouldn’t be a problem. The barrel on it now looks to be a 22”.
I would probably go with a full length 26”.

Last night I was looking at calibers. The 6.5-06, 25-06, and 338-06 caught my eye. Really considering the 6.5. Any other calibers of interest

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions welcomed in regards to barrel companies, calibers, etc.

Wapiti1

WKR
So, those were the Winchester 670 sold to Sears. It's the post 64 push feed action, and they put some nifty pressed checkering into the stocks for Sears. Factory 670's had a different pressed checkering pattern. Otherwise, they were model 70's with cheap stocks.

I like those rifles. Many suffered from poor stock fit and simply bedding them with a floated barrel made them shoot great.

If you want to rebarrel it, I'd look at something on the big side. The 338-06, 35 Whelen, 9.3X62 Mauser. I say this because they are a bit on the chunky and heavy side and it takes some cash investment to lighten them. That said, anything will work. 280 AI could be fun. Or a fast twist 25-06.

I would personally go 9.3X62 or 35 Whelen, but I have a soft spot for larger bore rifles.

Jeremy

CCH

WKR
If you want to rebore/rebarrel, go for it. However, you mentioned a “crappy, foggy scope” so I would start there. Those early post-64 70s weren’t pretty, but most could shoot. As Wapiti1 said, free floating may do it, but you won’t really know without a decent scope.

Caliber recommendations depend on what you plan to use it for. If it’s for everything, but mainly deer, I’d go .270 Win in a non-magnum long action. Not a sexy flavor of the month, but it tends to kill things with minimal fuss.

I would get a decent scope on it and mess around with finding a load it likes myself. I don’t know how far you’ve gone with it, but the barrel could just be fouled and need some attention. It’s never going to be some high dollar super collectible, but it’s still a cool old timer that probably shoots fine with a little effort. You can always get any of the calibers you mentioned in an inexpensive rifle like a savage or ruger American etc and get the same or better results instead of rebarreling what you have and you’d still have a neat old gun to tinker with. I might just be a little nostalgic though, my grandpa liked the jewels in the rough guns like the Ted Williams stuff and especially the jc higgins model 50 and 51s so I grew up with those.

Reactions: CCH

CCH

WKR
I would get a decent scope on it and mess around with finding a load it likes myself. I don’t know how far you’ve gone with it, but the barrel could just be fouled and need some attention. It’s never going to be some high dollar super collectible, but it’s still a cool old timer that probably shoots fine with a little effort. You can always get any of the calibers you mentioned in an inexpensive rifle like a savage or ruger American etc and get the same or better results instead of rebarreling what you have and you’d still have a neat old gun to tinker with. I might just be a little nostalgic though, my grandpa liked the jewels in the rough guns like the Ted Williams stuff and especially the jc higgins model 50 and 51s so I grew up with those.
I am a Winchester 70 guy, but those JC Higgins 50/51s are a big step up from any early post 64 70. Getting off topic, but it did come up.

I am a Winchester 70 guy, but those JC Higgins 50/51s are a big step up from any early post 64 70. Getting off topic, but it did come up.
Yeah I have a soft spot for those, I regret getting rid of of one when I was young and dumb thinking I had to have a new synthetic stock rem 700… I just didn’t know what I had. I’ll eventually find someone who is doing the same thing someday and grab it! I just like those old “cheap” guns and this post reminded me of that.

Reactions: CCH
OP
Button

Button

WKR
The scope will be replaced before any caliber change is attempted. I’ll free float the barrel as well. If it turns into a descent shooter I’ll keep it and work up loads for it. If not I’ll look into barrel swap to one of the calibers mentioned above.

I barrel was not fouled from what I remember but gave it a cleaning several months ago.