Season - 2020

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
Excited for a MT mule deer hunt with my sons. Hoping to get more time bowhunting with them. Maybe ND badlands archery/rifle. Tag season is always interesting.

jbrownlow

FNG
First time out west for me as well. Lots of deer and turkey hunting in kentucky... Trying to draw in montana and wyoming, if we fail there, headed to Idaho OTC

mlsthmpsn

FNG
Well, it's hard to believe another season has passed us by. Crazy where the time is going. I had a great year in '19, with plans for 2020 to be even better. Unfortunately I didn't update the '19 thread as I would have like to do. Just never seemed to be enough time for everything.

Wishing you all the best for this year.

Use this thread as your own as well, I like to hear about all your stories, travels, successes, and adventures as well!

Les

We're heading back into the places we talked about in 2018, with a much better idea of where to start and where to skip this time.

I'll pick your brain again next time I see you.

AHayes

FNG
I turn 50 in March and have always dreamed of going out west to hunt elk. I'm taking the leap this Sept. with OTC in CO. My buddy has been several times so that is a huge leg up for me. Working out hard, planning, purchasing gear, etc. Wife says I'm obsessed. Not trying to wish my life away, but I do have a digital count down on my phone until the day we leave Indiana on Interstate 70.

2020 will by my 7th season bowhunting and have not filled a tag yet! Last year I drew a good limited entry archery elk tag in Utah but was unsuccessful. This year I’m feeling more hungry than ever and determined to taste success. I will be hunting Utah archery OTC and HOPEFULLY Wyoming archery as well. This year I applied for a general elk tag. First time applying out of state!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kinz584

FNG
Montana is always a good look in general. Also interested how Wyoming will pan out with them holding onto people money forever

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
2020 is shaping up to be one heck of an experience. I've always dreamt of hunting elk and being a Missouri resident, this obviously isn't possible without hunting out of state. This year I will have the opportunity to elk hunt Idaho on a disabled veteran non-resident tag. I will be going with 2 other disabled vets and am looking forward to the experience. We have yet to pick a unit as we have no first hand knowledge of the area and only one of us have ever been elk hunting before but I'm excited nonetheless.

Best of luck to you and everyone else this year!

Just be aware that there will be a missouri elk draw for residents only this year. good luck

ashanks52

FNG
I pulled the trigger on an Idaho archery tag already, it'll be my first hunting trip out west so I'm pretty stoked.

Brani

FNG
Well, it's hard to believe another season has passed us by. Crazy where the time is going. I had a great year in '19, with plans for 2020 to be even better. Unfortunately I didn't update the '19 thread as I would have like to do. Just never seemed to be enough time for everything.

Wishing you all the best for this year.

Use this thread as your own as well, I like to hear about all your stories, travels, successes, and adventures as well!

Les
Was out in Western Colorado last year for the first trip after the big elky. Giving it another go this year.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
If anyone is at Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, stop by #357. Here through Tuesday night.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
2020 is shaping up to be one heck of an experience. I've always dreamt of hunting elk and being a Missouri resident, this obviously isn't possible without hunting out of state. This year I will have the opportunity to elk hunt Idaho on a disabled veteran non-resident tag. I will be going with 2 other disabled vets and am looking forward to the experience. We have yet to pick a unit as we have no first hand knowledge of the area and only one of us have ever been elk hunting before but I'm excited nonetheless.

Best of luck to you and everyone else this year!

This sounds awesome! Keep us updated!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had a great 2019 for elk calling in a bull for myself and a buddy.

In 2020 I am looking to burn my AZ elk points for a early archery tag. I was hoping to add on a WY general elk with my points but those odds ratcheted up in 2019 so we shall see.

Did you go for Wyoming?

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
2019 was great here in Montana, grandson filled his gen. deer with a nice 4x4 and granddaughter a 2x3 on youth days. Wife, grandson and myself went to 621 unit to fill 6 tags, 5 deer and 1 antelope then back to unit 4 to fill 2 WT doe tags. Took the wife to Utah for an antlerless elk hunt, a very short one. Got to campground ,set up motor home and drove out of camp. Gone about 15 minutes and found a herd, got into range and dropped her cow, loaded and went back to camp and packed up. Start to finish less than 3 hours.
2020 I’m taking advantage of DAV license and tags for an Idaho hunt in unit 10A.

That was a great season! Congrats!!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm excited to follow along again Les, I've followed these threads of yours for the last few years and since I can't hunt quite as much as you it's fun to follow along on your adventures. Best of luck to you in 2020!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks!! Good luck to you as well. Keep us posted!!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going to Colorado diy hunt in the back country in sept. First time experience and really excited .

It might be the first, but it sure as hell won’t be the last! Good luck my man.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
It should be a blast wish you the best of luck. I just got back into archery and last year we were 70 yards away then he bolted. But the elk only talked for 2 days we were there. Backpacking in for 5 days. I just wish I started backpacking in when I was in my 20s and not my 40s. Good luck

Ain’t that the truth man? Definitely wish I would’ve been started 20 years sooner. Oh well, get after it good luck.