Season - 2021

JRoot10

FNG
CO OTC archery unit 62 last year...lots of hunters...not many elk. Trying to find a more alpine unit for this year. Been doing some e-scouting.

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
Planning my first trip out to CO this year. Trying for unit 43 first rifle in to draw, but I’ll brave the OTC horde if necessary. Just tired of eastern whitetail “hunting”.
How can you ever get tired of Whitetail Hunt during the rutt in jersey, it is the best

How can you ever get tired of Whitetail Hunt during the rutt in jersey, it is the best

I guess this is a grass-is-greener situation.

I'm looking to diversify over either (1) sitting perfectly still for hours in a climber and freezing my actual ass off or (2) sitting in a heated box waiting to shoot pet farm animals deer.

Last edited:

standard_lengthy

Lil-Rokslider
More info on list b tags, multiple tag hunts, can you do a legit combo hunt is a bear tag Worth it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Ritzer81

FNG
Planning our first family trip to unit 66 CO. My Dad and Brother had a successful muzzleloader hunt there in 2017 and we are hopeful to draw a tag for first rifle hunt this year. I have been hearing different numbers of points needed to draw but fingers crossed.

My younger brother and I have never Elk hunted before however I had opportunities at some Elk last year on a Montana Muley hunt.

Have already applied in Az, and NM. Assuming those net me goose eggs will be applying in Montana and Idaho. Just figured out that I have some vacation time to use or loose before the end of April so thinking Idaho Spring bear is sounding good all of a sudden. Not sure if that will be too early for those 2 bear units or not. Penciling in CO elk in 2022.

j_volt

WKR
If all works out in the draw, I’ll be headed to Wyoming this fall chasing elk 🤞🏻 oh, and if one of my Hail Marys hit, I’ll be going there too!

ryansmess

FNG
Planning my first trip out to CO this year. Trying for unit 43 first rifle in to draw, but I’ll brave the OTC horde if necessary. Just tired of eastern whitetail “hunting”.
This will be my first attempt for an elk. Indiana guy. I'm heading to Colorado as well but for archery. Is the pressure as bad as I've been warned or have I just had haters in my ear because they couldn't close the deal?

D_Eightch

WKR
We will be heading out to Colorado for an Elk Hunt this September. Looking forward to getting away for a week, hopefully it isn't too crowded. Plan is to hike as far as we need to get away from the crowds if there are any.

As usual I put in for my Bighorn and Moose in ND...if either of those happen I will have to have a heart to heart with my Boss :).

Planning our first family trip to unit 66 CO. My Dad and Brother had a successful muzzleloader hunt there in 2017 and we are hopeful to draw a tag for first rifle hunt this year. I have been hearing different numbers of points needed to draw but fingers crossed.

My younger brother and I have never Elk hunted before however I had opportunities at some Elk last year on a Montana Muley hunt.
66 is awesome. And beautiful. And STEEP. BE IN SHAPE. But it’s a great hunt

66 is awesome. And beautiful. And STEEP. BE IN SHAPE. But it’s a great hunt

This will be my first attempt for an elk. Indiana guy. I'm heading to Colorado as well but for archery. Is the pressure as bad as I've been warned or have I just had haters in my ear because they couldn't close the deal?
as far as pressure goes, I think it just depends where you go. I spent a couple of long weekends out last fall. The opener wasn't bad but we were still hunting for elk at timberline. The last weekend seemed pretty crowded but we were hunting much lower. I think Covid had a lot more people in the woods camping last year for the entire summer and fall. between the people and the smoke it was an odd year.

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
Les I agree...what a year 2020 was!!! If 2021 heads in the same direction I’ll be joining Jeremiah up in the mountains wondering what month it is!-)

Something I’d like to see is non-diaphragm elk calls. For us guys that just can’t seem to master them for one reason or another? Lots of guys gag on them or just can’t get them to seat properly on their pallet.

Ive found Reel elk calls for cow calls. They give perfect pitch, calf to old maid cow calls the first call every time. No squawking when your out of breath or that first call in the morning when you get into position at sunrise. And they can be as whisper soft for close in calls or punch through windy conditions to be heard at long distances! I called in a satellite bull from over a mile away this year in MT.

But I’ve yet to find a non-diaphragm bugle that sounds pitch perfect. I’ve tried several and so far Primos is the best I’ve found. But there has to be something better?

cjp584

FNG
Buddy and I got drawn for 3030 and 3031 in Arizona this year. Time to officially start the prep work.