Season - 2021

Evan_35

FNG
I'm trying to burn some points in WY on a good LE unit. Last year's odds should have given me a good chance on the regular draw but I went special this year. I'm not rich, but at 66 I've got more money than years in the mountains left. I've been disappointed before some years and really want to make sure I draw.
Call the G&F office in Lander and ask for Craig. He knows where the elk are.

ia bhtr

FNG
I'm trying to burn some points in WY on a good LE unit. Last year's odds should have given me a good chance on the regular draw but I went special this year. I'm not rich, but at 66 I've got more money than years in the mountains left. I've been disappointed before some years and really want to make sure I draw.
Same boat , will b 70 when elk season arrives , got enough points to draw unit 7 , with age being a factor and only planning on 1 archery elk hunt , guide is already booked ,if I am going to only hunt once, I want to give myself the best possible chance , bow is dialed in ..... at least till I get a bull up close and personal , then we will see if " I " am dialed in , hopefully depends will not be needed 🙃

shadow24

FNG
Planning my first elk trip this year for CO, from KY. If I don’t let the intimidation get the best of me, I’ll be one of those OTC archery noobs. But I promise I’ll give the right-of-way on all the backroads and do my best to not mess up anybody else. Another poster said it the best, I’m looking at it as more of a “backpacking trip and hope to maybe see some animals.” I’ve been a whitetail hunter all my life, but I’m hoping to spend my 40th birthday up there all alone. I’ve got quite a bit of time in the air over several of the units, but that was years ago, and it’ll be a totally different story on the ground.
I guess my biggest concern is planning to the point of exhaustion, then getting there and there be dozens of people at my planned start-points and no paths to take without following someone else. Is this a realistic concern? I’m tryin to E-scout best I can and avoid areas with obvious hiking trails. As always, any help will be appreciated. Take care everybody and best of luck this year. Hope y’all kill your best ever.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
2021 is going to be my introduction to Western Big Game hunting. Planning on an OTC for CO this year to get a feel for things. Happy hunting to everyone this year.

Last year was my first year hunting elk. I got a good september rifle tag and felt like the odds were somewhat in my favor, but the elk disagreed. Feel like I learned a lot last year so even though I'll be using a bow this september I still feel like I have a better chance than last year. Looking forward to scouting already.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was till 1-15-21. Late season cow tag which I assumed would be easy. Never connected, had a great time and will apply again.

I have never rifle hunted with so little pressure, but they only had about 300 tags for that hunt in W Colorado. I had more days in the field seeing no one than I did running into one or two other hunters. There was just enough snow to make me stick close to the roads. Very steep terrain and blowing a knee packing meat out was a real possibility so I did not do much hiking, plus most of the time I had a guy in my SxS with the same tag who could absolutely not hike.
He is 20 years my senior and a lifelong elk hunter, and that was likely his last hunt.

We saw some incredible scenery, froze our butts off in my unheated machine,at least till 1100 when it got above freezing. I went thru a lot of hand warmer packs. A couple of those in the chest pockets were golden.

The best way to describe it was the elk were everywhere, yet nowhere.

Early scouting showed the elk were holding up high, in this unit that was 8500 Feet.

View attachment 257270View attachment 257271View attachment 257272
Wow. This is super cool. Congrats, even though no tags were filled. Its about the experience for sure!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
2021 looks to be my first year getting into elk hunting. I've been applying for points for a few years, but this year I plan on doing an OTC archery hunt. the plan is to backpack hunt and move around until I maybe find elk. I'm viewing it as a backpacking trip with a bow instead of a hunting trip.
I'd look at it the other way though.....

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck. If you draw HMU if I can help I will.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
5d6bd57be12bd71899a458e7dd48366a.jpg

Colorado bound right now. Kifaru Friday. Shed hunting Saturday. Easter with friends Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
So beautiful!!
I forgot to show you guys what I found for next year.
OnX showed this place was 300 yards into public land, and I eventually ran into a CPW guy who confirmed this cabin is just an old cow camp on public land . Fair game for anyone to use. Probably spend a few nights in here if I draw the same late cow tag.

Sadly there is no outhouse like the usual cowboy shack, but there is a darn nice wood stove.EA473051-3977-493F-A948-157F4BEB7802.jpeg648D7D0F-F2BA-48C5-BFD4-7D71AC11BEE2.jpegFA916637-25FE-4331-B264-AE411548CF21.jpegEED9FABD-721D-43F0-B5EC-E8AC50D08B3C.jpegEA473051-3977-493F-A948-157F4BEB7802.jpeg648D7D0F-F2BA-48C5-BFD4-7D71AC11BEE2.jpegFA916637-25FE-4331-B264-AE411548CF21.jpegEED9FABD-721D-43F0-B5EC-E8AC50D08B3C.jpeg

11boo

WKR
Welcome to Colorado Les!
what did the Kifaru visit cost, lol.

Not sure why my pics are doubling up hogging bandwidth.
I ended up setting camp on one of my cow hunts (usually day trips from home) before I found the shack. It was 5-10 degrees every morning till I got a fire roaring.

4AA46D0D-06A7-473E-A4EE-DA05581C9AD5.jpeg6D4F5C95-BF4B-41DC-8B6F-6EB1B726DAE2.jpeg

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Colorado Les!
what did the Kifaru visit cost, lol.

Not sure why my pics are doubling up hogging bandwidth.
I ended up setting camp on one of my cow hunts (usually day trips from home) before I found the shack. It was 5-10 degrees every morning till I got a fire roaring.

View attachment 279266View attachment 279267
So awesome. Love those old camps!

Thanks! Some of my best friends live in Parker. Love visiting. Kifaru wasn't bad. New Stryker XL, hip quiver set-up, and a hoodie!

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping I get a chance to hunt a new area in Montana's general season this year...going to try heading out in August to scout if I draw (and maybe check out Stone Glacier's HQ). Any tips for an early season scout for rifle season?

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hoping I get a chance to hunt a new area in Montana's general season this year...going to try heading out in August to scout if I draw (and maybe check out Stone Glacier's HQ). Any tips for an early season scout for rifle season?
I"ve hunted elk with bow for 14 years, but not rife once, I wouldn't know where to start. Hopefully someone here can chime in.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I should be hunting Colorado unit 65 1st rifle season this year. Last year was my first year hunting elk DIY. Went to Idaho for archery season and got close to getting the job done on a 6x6. There’s also a ~20% chance my dad will pull a Colorado unit 10 elk tag, which should be a great hunt.