Season - 2021

bangarang

FNG
Hey all,

I drew a cow tag and I’m trying to decide which plan to go with. The season starts next week. I can go out every morning before work and I have two areas picked out for the week, with several more to explore throughout the month that are further away. I went and scouted the two areas today and last week. I watched the sun come up in area A and didn’t see any animals. I know area A is a winter range because I saw two herds there last March. It’s dried grasslands with hills and lots of ravines with some trees in them. I saw a lot of scat that looked newish, a broken elk antler from this year, a fresh rub, and a couple week old cow leg with hoof still attached, but no animals. Area B is the top of a range with a commanding view of the surrounding area with plenty of timber pockets and clear cuts. It’s pretty popular, but shouldn’t be as popular during this draw season. I got there around 10 am, so I missed any activity that may have occurred.

Some of my questions are is it too early for the winter range (area A), hence not seeing actual activity (maybe the sign is older than I think)? Are the cows most likely still in their harems in the timber? Which area sounds better for post rut?

I tried to keep the area descriptions as vague as possible. Please let me know if this needs to be in a different thread.

Parker173

FNG
Not sure if you’ve covered it, but I’d like to see your opinion on the Seek Outside Cimarron and stove for solo late season hunts.
i have a seek outside 4P tipi with a stove its worth the money!! although its more like 3 people with all the gear we pack in.