Season - 2021

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
2020. What a year. I think we’ll go up from here!! I know there’s a few seasons wrapping up here so let’s hear what y’all are still up to.

Also, I’d like to try and add a little to this thread this year. I’m going to try and work with some companies and get some products that you all might have interest in to test out and give thoughts.

What else would you like to see here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planning my first trip out to CO this year. Trying for unit 43 first rifle in to draw, but I’ll brave the OTC horde if necessary. Just tired of eastern whitetail “hunting”.

I managed to sneak out to Wy for a few days in Dec. No luck, but I'm hooked. I'll probably go back to the same area this October with buddies. Any info on elk units that have good success for Cow/Calf hunters that are newbies is appreciated. We're all former military, so we don't mind hiking to get to them. I was thinking unit 34. Thank you

2020. What a year. I think we’ll go up from here!! I know there’s a few seasons wrapping up here so let’s hear what y’all are still up to.

Also, I’d like to try and add a little to this thread this year. I’m going to try and work with some companies and get some products that you all might have interest in to test out and give thoughts.

What else would you like to see here?

Planning a trip out to CO for OTC Archery Elk season. This will be our first trip out West. Any advice on Units or places to start would be greatly appreciated!

Planning a trip out to CO for OTC Archery Elk season. This will be our first trip out West. Any advice on Units or places to start would be greatly appreciated!
Below are the links to the 2020 (this past season's) Big Game Brochure and the CPW Atlas. At the beginning of the elk licensing section in the brochure you can see a map for which units are OTC. Use the Atlas as a stating point for e-scouting and information gathering. Hope this helps. You will need to check the website later for the 2021 Big Game Brochure link that will have all of the updated regs, etc. for this coming season.

In the "Things To Do" page on the cpw.state.co.us website there are many resources available on that page under "Big Game" link in the Hunting tab to get you started.

Good luck!

Codangles

FNG
The early September snow messed with the rut this year. We found them mostly down low on private. We were able to call a few onto public but they were acting like it was already 3rd rifle. Summit County

cured_ham

WKR
Had my first elk hunt in 2020. The snowstorm got us at 11k feet and stranded us for a few days. Ended up finding a bull super low. Shot it but never recovered. Looked for a whole day before we had to drive home.

Definitely going back 2021 and hopefully have less snow.

Whip

WKR
Still bowhunting whitetails here in Wisconsin through the end of the month. My buck tag and one doe tag are filled but could sure use another doe for making some extras.
Plans for the fall hopefully will involve Wyoming, either for moose if I get lucky or elk if I don't.

Last edited:

11boo

WKR
Anyone still hunting?

I was till 1-15-21. Late season cow tag which I assumed would be easy. Never connected, had a great time and will apply again.

I have never rifle hunted with so little pressure, but they only had about 300 tags for that hunt in W Colorado. I had more days in the field seeing no one than I did running into one or two other hunters. There was just enough snow to make me stick close to the roads. Very steep terrain and blowing a knee packing meat out was a real possibility so I did not do much hiking, plus most of the time I had a guy in my SxS with the same tag who could absolutely not hike.
He is 20 years my senior and a lifelong elk hunter, and that was likely his last hunt.

We saw some incredible scenery, froze our butts off in my unheated machine,at least till 1100 when it got above freezing. I went thru a lot of hand warmer packs. A couple of those in the chest pockets were golden.

The best way to describe it was the elk were everywhere, yet nowhere.

Early scouting showed the elk were holding up high, in this unit that was 8500 Feet.

58F5D18B-1882-40DA-875C-9A60B7BAC298.jpeg3B871F67-6BB9-4BDE-96AE-CA718B927EE7.jpeg304945CE-9060-4680-AD1D-66E90B023286.jpeg

11boo

WKR
First hunt pics, we had some fresh snow to work with. My machine worked well, never saw another person and the snow proved we were the only ones up there.

No elk seen, lots of fresh tracks though.FAC8B67C-FCCF-4AEB-8656-DFC4EE9F6C7A.jpeg9AC31762-D298-49A2-BC21-AD56EEDFFFC9.jpegAEC2FD72-E614-4826-A2C5-F8754FF44051.jpeg

Drewby

Lil-Rokslider
2021 looks to be my first year getting into elk hunting. I've been applying for points for a few years, but this year I plan on doing an OTC archery hunt. the plan is to backpack hunt and move around until I maybe find elk. I'm viewing it as a backpacking trip with a bow instead of a hunting trip.

Been killing cows on leftover tags for a couple years...hoping to draw my 1st bull tag in 21.

Other than that I would like to see some comparisons on 3D mapping...what actual works and is it supported on my phone without a signal. I have an android phone with a 1TB card, bring it!
TIA

Good Luck in 21 folks!

Brett01b

FNG
Was anyone hunting in the kremmling Colorado area in 2020? It was the first year i didn’t go there but going back again in 2021. I’m curious about hers size in the late fall and how numbers looked. I’ve also hunted with the Bill Basin guys a handful of times but haven’t had the chance to visit with them yet.

Whip

WKR
I'm trying to burn some points in WY on a good LE unit. Last year's odds should have given me a good chance on the regular draw but I went special this year. I'm not rich, but at 66 I've got more money than years in the mountains left. I've been disappointed before some years and really want to make sure I draw.